Food Reigns at the First Annual Soul Fest Weekend at the Stage
Florida is technically in the South, but the food in Miami resembles that of a Latin American country rather than a Confederate state. Suggestions for great fried green tomatoes and collard greens almost always lead to cricket sounds. Thankfully, for one more weekend, you can stave off your Southern food pangs and that road trip you've been meaning to take.
The Stage (which New Times picked as this year's Best New Venue for Live Music) will host the first annual Soul Fest Weekend July 29 to 31, adding Miami to the prestigious list of cities that host the fest of soul. The festival will be a groovy collaboration, with music by the likes of Poppa E, Electric Piquete and Joel DaSilva & the Midnight Howl; art by LEBO Studios; and great, glorious food (what we most care about around here).
Michael Schwartz's MGFD Food Cart leads the pack as the weekend's main contributor
of soulful food, on location both Friday and Saturday beginning at 9
- Crispy pork belly sandwich with spicy mustard slaw, $7
- Chickpea and vegetable stew with jasmine rice, $7
- Fried chicken, 3 pieces, $8
- Coleslaw, $3
- Peach and radish salad with almonds & feta, $5
- Junk-in-the-trunk brownie, $5
Plus, guest mixologist Ryan Goodspeed, of MGFD, will be on hand to mix
the event's specialty cocktail -- Tutti Frutti -- with Cricket Nelson, the Stage's resident mixologist.
Here's a peek at the Tutti Frutti recipe:
- 1 oz. rye
- 1 oz. Aperol
- 1 1/4 oz. Crème de Violette
- 1/4 oz. fresh lemon
If that isn't enough food, there will be a free daytime back-yard barbecue
(for the measly admission of $5) Saturday from 5 to 9 p.m. We suggest you make a day
of it and just eat, eat, eat.
Ms. Cheezious takes over Sunday at 4 p.m. with sexy comfort
food and specialty menu items created for the event.
- Fried chicken and waffle melt served with country gravy and maple
- Fried green tomatoes with buttermilk herb dressing, $4
- Seasonal fruit salad with mint sugar, $4
If you go Sunday, you'll also get to experience the venue's signature
weekly event, Sunday Sunset Party, i.e. the only way to end your week.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Animal Rights Activist, Author Susan Hargreaves to Speak at Earthsave Vegan Potluck...
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz Brunch: Bottomless DIY Bloodys, Prime Rib Sandwich, and...
- Miami's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: WMC, Typsy Mermaid, and Florida Derby
- Freshii Opening New Location in Miami International Mall