Five Dollars Gets You Five Haas Avocados at Any Whole Foods, Today Only
Calling all avocado nuts. Whole Foods is offering a one-day special sale on the deliciously green fruit that's used as a vegetable -- $5 for five. That's a dollar each. The catch? It's for today only.
All Whole Foods Market stores in Florida are participating in this one day haas avocado event. The haas avocado is easily identified by its oval shape and the bumpy texture of its skin that's dark green to purple, and black when it's ripe. Not sure what you'll do with five avocados? We've got your covered. Whole Foods also offers up some recipes for the bad boys - from salad, to salsa, and even catfish tacos. After the jump.
Catfish Taco with Thai Cabbage Slaw
- 2 pounds catfish fillets (about 3 fillets)
- Oil for the grill
- Flour tortillas
- Avocado, thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
Thai Slaw Dressing
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 2 juicy limes)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon red chile paste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, more if needed
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon honey, more to taste
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (about 1/4 to 1/2 of a small cabbage)
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 daikon radish, shredded
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
To make the Slaw Dressing, whisk fish sauce, lime juice, sesame oil, chili paste, coconut milk and peanut butter together in small pot over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Thin with coconut milk if needed to obtain a sauce that pours easily. Taste and adjust seasoning with honey and red pepper flakes.
To make the Thai Slaw, combine red cabbage, carrots, daikon and red onion in a large bowl. Toss with half of slaw dressing. Set remaining dressing aside for serving with tacos.
Preheat grill to medium heat. Rub both sides of fish with a little oil. When grill is hot, use tongs to rub the grate with an oiled paper towel. Grill fish 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. Meanwhile, wrap a stack of tortillas in foil and place on grill over low heat, turning once while fish cooks.
When fish is done, remove it from the grill and cut into pieces. Pile fish in warm tortillas. Top with Thai slaw, sliced avocado, cilantro leaves and extra Thai slaw dressing. Serve with lime wedges.
Serving size: About 1 Â½ tacos, 660 calories (330 from fat), 36g total fat, 10g saturated fat, 90mg cholesterol, 790mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (7g dietary fiber, 7g sugar), 43g protein
Avocado Mango Salsa
Makes about 2 cups
Try this salsa with grilled fish or chicken. Add some diced Serrano pepper if you like heat.
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 mango, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 avocado, diced (about 1 cup)
In a large bowl, whisk together garlic, orange juice, lime juice, orange zest, honey and olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Add mango and avocado. Toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 2 tablespoons, 30 calories (20 from fat), 2g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0g dietary fiber, 2g sugar), 0g protein
Kale, Carrot and Avocado Salad
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and finely chopped
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce
Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl. Use your hands or the back of a large spoon to thoroughly mash avocado into kale. Set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving to allow kale to soften.
160 calories (60 from fat), 7g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 6g protein
Follow Carla on Twitter @ohcarlucha
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Instacart Same-Day Grocery Delivery Lets You Shop Without Having to Go Anywhere
- Backstage with Michael Schwartz, Giorgio Rapicavoli, and Aussie Celeb Chef Pete Evans
- Latteria Italiana: Amazing, Secret Ice Cream and More in Midtown
- Miami's Five Best Exotic Pasta Dishes: From Pumpkin to Amaretto and Lobster