February 2016 Miami Restaurant Openings and Closings
Plant Food + Wine opens in Wynwood.
Rendering by Michael Klausmeier / Courtesy Rene Gonzalez Architect
February was quite a month for the Miami dining scene. In the weeks leading up to the South Beach Wine & Food Festival, the premier culinary event in South Florida, restaurants opened like wildfire around town.
Most notable is the temporary opening of Alinea in Residence. While their Chicago restaurant is undergoing a transformation for its tenth anniversary, Grant Achatz and partner Nick Kokonas took their show on the road. Almost instantly, tickets for the pop-up's entire run sold out.
Plant-based guru Matthew Kenney opened Plant Food + Wine in Wynwood. February also saw the debut of Kaori, helmed by a chef best known for selling a dish to an Arabian prince for a million euros.
Ralph Pagano continues his "naked" theme with the opening of Naked Tiki, and Janine Booth and Jeff McInnis opened the Sarsaparilla Club today.
In the coming months, the most anticipated openings include the Anderson — Gabriel Orta and Elad Zvi's newest endeavor at the former Magnum Lounge — and Grown, a healthy fast-casual restaurant by former Miami Heat player Ray Allen and his wife Shannon.
- Alinea in Residence at Faena Hotel Miami Beach
- Choices Cafe (2895 McFarlane Rd., Miami)
- Ichimi (2330 Salzedo
- Kaori (1250 S. Miami Ave., Miami)
- Pincho Factory (950 W. 12th Ave., Hialeah)
- Plant Food +Wine (105 NE 24th St., Miami)
- Prey Pop-Up at 1 Hotel
- River Yacht Club and VanDutch Lounge (401 SW Third Ave., Miami)
- The Sarsaparilla Club at the Shelborne Wyndham Grand South Beach
- Spasso (3540 Main Hwy., Coconut Grove)
- Zest at Southeast Financial Center (200 S. Biscayne Blvd., Miami.)
The Aventura Mall food court closed for renovations and will not reopen for more than a year.
Courtesy of Bachour Bakery & Bistro
- 305 Brews - Beer bar opening in midtown Miami
- 5411 Empanadas - From Chicago to Coral Gables
- Angelo Elia Pizza Bar - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- The Anderson - Bar Lab's Gabe Orta and Elad Zvi's new venture at the old Magnum
- Azucar - Opening near FIU
- The Avenue - British pub fare and American beer to open in A&E District
- Bachour Bakery & Bistro - The master baker opens a bistro
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach
- Bikini Barista - Coming to midtown
- Biscayne Bay Brewing Company - Opening in Doral
- Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill - Opening in Miami
- The Broken Shaker - Opening in Los Angeles
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell
- Cake Thai Kitchen - Opening in Wynwood
- Dragonfly - Third of the Florida chain and first in Miami-Dade, coming to Doral
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again
- Farinelli 1937 - Upscale pizza by the owners of Strada
- Freddo Helado - Opening in Doral
- Glass & Vine - Giorgio Rapicavoli comes to Coconut Grove
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood
- Graziano's - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- Groovin' Bean - Coffeehouse and lounge opening in Overtown
- Grown - Ray and Shannon Allen's healthy fast-casual concept
- Hank & Harry's - Buzzy Sklar to open
NY-styledeli in SoBe
- Harry's Pizzeria - Chef Michael Schwartz expanding several locations
- IGA Culinary School - Opening in North Miami
- IceBox Cafe - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- Jodi's Italian Ice - Opening soon
- Juan Valdez Cafe - Opening in North Miami
- Jugofresh Kitchen - Opening in Sunset Harbour
- Junior's - Iconic cheesecake and restaurant opening
- La Muse Cafe - Jamie DeRosa opening a Brickell café
- Ladurée - To pop up in the Design District for Art Basel
- Latin House Grill - Opening near FIU
- Le Macaron - Opening at Dadeland Mall and other locations
- Ms. Cheezious - Planning expansion
- My Ceviche - Coming to Midtown and MIA
- Itabe - Kevin Aoki and Roman Jones collaborate on a restaurant.
- Palmeiras Beach Club - Opening in Coconut Grove
- Panther Coffee - Opening in MiMo, and Little Haiti
- Paraiso Bay Restaurant & Beach Club - Michael Schwartz opening a restaurant at this Edgewater complex
- Pasion del Cielo - Opening in Brickell and Doral
- Paulie Gee's Brooklyn pizza - Coming to Upper Eastside
- PB Station - The Pubbelly Boys open in Miami proper
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami
- Phuc Yea! - Popular pop-up opening in MiMo
- Pincho Factory - Opening several locations in Hialeah, Doral, West Kendall, Pinecrest, and Orlando
- Pubbelly Sushi - Opening
- Quinto La Huella - Opening soon
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine
- Salty Donut -
Doughnutshop coming to Wynwood
- The Spillover - Lokal explores the sea
- Spring Chicken - Several other locations opening
- Stellino's - Italian cuisine coming to Doral
- Sugar Factory - Opening
secondlocation, on Lincoln Road
- Sullivan St. Bakery - Opening in Little Haiti
- Tanuki - From Moscow to South Beach
- Tap 42 - Fort Lauderdale gastropub opening in Coral Gables
- Taste Buds of India - Coral Springs restaurant opening in South Miami
- Toasted Bagels - Coming to Coral Gables
- Tobacco Road - New and improved Road opening this winter
- Tropical Barbecue - Kris Wessel returns with Little Haiti barbecue place
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon
- Union Beer - Beer to-go and bar opening in Little Havana
- Velvet Creme - Iconic doughnuts returning to Miami
- Which Wich - Opening several locations in Miami
- Whole Foods Market - Proposed megastore in Sunset Harbour
- Zak the Baker - Planning an expansion of his café and bakery.
Kitchen- From the people who brought you My Ceviche
Projects in the Works
- Chef Alex Stupak is shopping for a location in Miami for a taco restaurant.
- Joël Robuchon is opening eateries in the Design District.
Wanjey, a partner at Zuma and Coya, will open a French restaurant in Brickell in the coming year.
- Jeff McInnis and Janine Booth will open a seafood restaurant at the former PB Steak location in Sunset Harbour.
- Jose Garces is rumored to be opening a Miami restaurant.
- Alfredo Patino plans to open a French concept on 79th Street.
Embarek Alibaywill open a café adjacent to his La Parisienne Bakery (1909 NE 154th St., North Miami Beach).
- Geoffrey Zakarian mentioned opening a restaurant at the Diplomat in Hallandale Beach.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.