February 2013 Restaurant Openings and Closings
Bulla opens in Coral Gables.
The second month of the new year saw some activity as restaurants clamored to open to take advantage of the large crowds of foodies who traveled to Miami and Miami Beach from California, New York, and even Broward County to drink in their fill of good wine and celebrity sightings at the South Beach Wine & Food Festival.
We're pleased to say that there were no major restaurant closings. Is this an indication that the economy has picked up for good -- or that our fair city's restaurant scene continues to grow and be a force to be reckoned with? Either way -- we're happy that small restaurateurs continue to open in Miami... and stay open.
- Bunnie Cakes
- Devon Seafood & Steak
- Dore South Beach
- Jimmy'z Kitchen Pinecrest
- Quarterman's Ice Cream Parlor
- Sweet Saloon
- The Social Lubricant Lounge
John's Tacos is taking over Josh's Delicatessen and Appetizing Wednesday - Monday evenings, starting at 6 p.m.
- Icebox Cafe will close its Lincoln Road location in April and relocate to Sunset Harbour Shops.
- Momi Ramen is now open 24 hours.
- 8oz. Burger Bar - Moving to the old Kim's Chinese spot...or not.
- Acropolis Greek Taverna - Bellydancing coming to the Grove.
- Aoki Teppanyaki - Coming to Dadeland.
- Aroma Espresso Bar - Coming to Dadeland.
- Balan's - OPening another location in Dadeland.
- Bar Lorenzo - Top Chef Tony Mantuano is opening an Italian restaurant soon.
- Barezzito - Late night sushi to open in SoBe.
- Batch - Gastropub coming to Brickell.
- Biscayne Tavern - opening at b2 Hotel in Miami.
- Bobby Flay's Burger Palace - Coming to Dadeland.
- Boxpark - The Hoxton's sibling, coming spring 2013.
- Capriccio - On the river, coming soon.
- Charles St. - Opening soon.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming soon.
- Cipriani - New York icon due at the Icon Brickell.
- Cypress Room - Michael Schwartz's upscale tavern to open early 2013.
- Earl's Kitchen & Bar - Coming to Dadeland.
- The Flat - pre-clubbing snacks.
- Gravity Brewbar - Opening in Wynwood.
- Harvey Wolf - Completes the trio of European pubs, along with Boxpark and The Hoxton.
- Hoops Coconut Grove - Sports bar opening soon.
- HuaHua's - Todd Erickson's Lincoln Road tacqueria to open early 2013.
- Ikea - Coming 2014
- Jefe's Original Fish Taco & Burger - One of Miami's first food trucks goes brick and mortar.
- Kouzina - Greek cuisine coming to Midtown.
- La Cantina 20 - Another Icon tenant getting set to move in.
- Lucali - Mark Iacono is testing out his Brooklyn pizza in Miami Beach.
- Lure Fishbar - The New York seafood restaurant is coming to the Loews Miami Beach.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- N Lounge - Kevin Cory to open a lounge next door to NAOE.
- Panther Coffee - Opening second location in SoBe.
- Poor Man's Lobster - From the folks at Mandolin.
- Restaurant du Cap - Philippe Ruiz' much anticipated venue coming to Brickell.
- The Restaurant at The Raleigh - Michael Schwartz' venture arriving winter 2013.
- Spaghetto - One just opened, several more in the works.
- Swine Southern Table & Bar - Yardbird's pork-centric sister (also from 50 Eggs) to open March 9.
- Tongue & Cheek -- Jamie DeRosa and Michael Reginbogin's joint venture to open Spring 2013.
- Trader Joe's - Coming to Pinecrest in 2013.
- Umami Burger - The California craze is opening in Miami Beach.
- VooDoo BBQ and Grill - Bringing some mojo to Kendall.
- Wolfgang Steakhouse - Wolfgang Zwiener announces a Miami opening.
- Wynwood Brewing Company - Opening soon.
- Yard House - Chain grub with many many beers.
Projects in the Works
A fast-casual Asian concept, also by 50 Eggs, is coming to South Beach, adjacent to the original Lime on Alton Road.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.