Legend has it that long before George Washington became the first President of The United States, he chopped down a cherry tree. When his father saw the ruined tree he asked George if he did it and George said "yes father, I cannot tell a lie". George's father then proceeded to probably beat George to within an inch of his miserable little life. Bam! went Mr. Washington's fist into George's skull.
Centuries later, legend has it that a certain celebrity chef was filming a show late into the evening. When the camera crew started falling asleep during his cherry cobbler recipe, that celebrity chef yelled Bam!, scaring the crew to within an inch of their miserable lives.
To commemorate these historic events, we hereby share a fabulous cherry cobbler recipe, from Emeril's kitchen, courtesy of Food Network.
Emeril's Cherry Cobbler
6 cups tart red cherries, pitted
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup water
4 teaspoons cornstarch
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons butter
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a saucepan combine filling ingredients and cook, stirring until bubbling and thickened.
- Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Meanwhile, stir together flour, sugars, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter until it is crumbly.
- Mix together egg and milk.
- Add to flour mixture and stir with a fork just until combined.
- Drop topping by tablespoonfuls onto filling.
- Bake for 25 minutes until browned and bubbly.