Decadent Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes With Recipe Just in Time for Turkey Day
As Thanksgiving gets closer, the smells of cinnamon, cloves, ginger and all spice become increasingly more irresistible, especially when referring to dessert. Two words - PUMPKIN PIE.
Despite the fact that pumpkin pie can be made all year round thanks to ingredients like canned pumpkin puree, it seems as though most of us get a triple helping during the holidays. Well, let's add one more serving to that...
Bite Me Cakes & Cupcakes, recently launched by 26 year old, Colombian native, Nayda "Nac" Mercado, offers the most deliciously decadent pumpkin pie cupcakes. After spending the last five years behind the line, she now dedicates her time to creating miniature cake confections, a hobby she first picked up when she was a child.
One thing's for sure, these bitesize cakes are die-na-mite! Whether you're a frosting fanatic or a cake buff, one bite into these bad boys will make your eyes flutter. The cupcake portion is moist and supple with a liquid, pumpkin surprise in the center. The cream cheese frosting is luscious having been whipped to an airy, almost buttercreamy, consistency; it virtually melts in your mouth upon initial contact. The mini-treats were so delicious, we couldn't help but have one for breakfast alongside a good, strong pot of coffee.
Bite Me Cakes & Cupcakes offers a vast array of flavors including the usual suspects of red velvet, vanilla, chocolate and Oreo but features gourmet treats like guave & cheese, banana & chocolate chip, peanut butter & Nutella and chocolate liquid caramel. Prices range from $10 for a mini dozen to $35 for full size cakes and other goodies. Contact them directly for a special order at 305 873-4223 or find them on Facebook.
"Nac" can either make these for you or go ahead and make them yourself. Here's her recipe:
(makes about 25 cupcakes)
3 cups cake flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup pumpkin pure
11/2 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, ginger powder, cinnamon powder and salt; mix on low speed until combined. Add butter, mixing until just coated with flour.
- In a large glass measuring cup, whisk together eggs, milk, pumpkin, and vanilla. With mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in 3 parts, scraping down sides of bowl before each addition; beat until ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat.
- Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about 2/3 full, and place the cupcakes in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat process with remaining batter.
- For the frosting, cream butter, until light and fluffy. Add the cream cheese, pumpkin pure, and the rest of the dry ingredients. Beat until desired spreading consistency is reached.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, use a small offset spatula to frost tops of each cupcake.
- Decorate with sprinkles, if desired.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.