DB Bistro's Jason Pringle Builds the Perfect Turkey Sandwich (Recipe)
Leftovers you can live with.
On Black Friday, most of us will just stuff leftover turkey between two slices of white bread and call it a day. But we're selling ourselves short. An extra bit of effort can yield bigger -- and tastier -- rewards.
On Thanksgiving day, DB Bistro Moderne will be handing out complimentary to-go turkey sandwiches to guests. But executive chef Jason Pringle has also shared the recipe with Short Order.
"Thanksgiving is all about abundance. However, by day three of eating turkey, that abundance needs some sprucing up," he says. "Enter the infinitely adaptable sandwich. It's the ideal, low-fuss way to revamp your leftovers. I love this recipe because it highlights the often-maligned Brussels sprout in a crowd-pleasing coleslaw."
Thanksgiving turkey sandwich with cranberry chutney and Brussels sprouts slaw
1 pound leftover roasted turkey, thinly sliced
For the cranberry chutney
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 cup orange juice
1 lb fresh cranberries, rinsed
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp five-spice powder
For the Brussels sprouts slaw
2 cups thinly sliced Brussels sprouts
1/4 cup grated carrots
1/2 small red onion, minced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
6 toasted brioche buns
1. To make the cranberry chutney: In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar and maple syrup, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Carefully add the orange juice and bring to a simmer. Add the cranberries, ginger, and spices and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Check consistency, occasionally adding water to thin if necessary. (The sauce should be thick, but not so a spoon will stand upright in it.)
2. To make the Brussels sprout slaw: In a medium bowl, toss all ingredients to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill, covered for at least an hour before serving.
3. To assemble: Spread cranberry chutney onto the bottoms of 6 freshly toasted brioche buns. Divide turkey on top. Top the turkey with Brussels sprouts slaw and place bun tops on the sandwiches.
Follow Ily on Twitter @realily.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Pincho Factory Opening in Hialeah Next Week: Locations in Brickell, Midtown Miami,...
Thu., Feb. 25, 8:00pm
Thu., Feb. 25, 8:00pm
Tue., Mar. 1, 8:00pm
Fri., Mar. 18, 8:00pm
- Food Halls Planned for Little Haiti, Wynwood, Downtown Miami
- Surfcomber's Social Club Brunch: Order the Doughnuts and Breakfast Sandwich