Crispy Halloumi Caprese With Charred Tomato Sauce: A Recipe From Chef Josh Becker
We recently interviewed Chef Josh Becker at the Ritz-Carlton South Beach's DiLido Beach Club restaurant. If you missed the interview, catch it here and here.
Chef Becker shared his recipe for crispy halloumi caprese with charred tomato sauce. Enjoy.
Crispy Halloumi "Caprese" with Charred Tomato Sauce
8 oz. halloumi cheese, ¼" slice
1 ea. heirloom tomato, ¼" Slice
2 oz. chickpea Flour
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. paprika
5 ea. basil leaves, whole
1 head frissee, washed and picked
1 ea. lemon, zest
2 ea. Roma tomato, coarse chop
½ ea. shallot, sliced
1 ea. garlic, sliced
1 T. white wine
To taste salt, pepper, chopped chervil
1. Grill the roma tomatoes whole until charred and blistered.
2. Sweat the shallots and garlic, deglaze with white wine and add charred tomatoes. Cook on low heat for 20 minutes, adjust seasoning and blend
3. Combine chickpea flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper and dredge the halloumi in the mixture.
4. Pan fry the halloumi until golden brown on both sides.
5. Sauce the bottom of the plate and arrange the crispy halloumi, heirloom tomato slices, and basil in alternating order.
6. Garnish with frisse seasoned with lemon zest and chervil.
Follow Short Order on Facebook and Twitter @Short_Order.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.