Crispy Halloumi Caprese With Charred Tomato Sauce: A Recipe From Chef Josh Becker
Chef Becker shared his recipe for crispy halloumi caprese with charred tomato sauce. Enjoy.
Crispy Halloumi "Caprese" with Charred Tomato Sauce
8 oz. halloumi cheese, ¼" slice
1 ea. heirloom tomato, ¼" Slice
2 oz. chickpea Flour
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. paprika
5 ea. basil leaves, whole
1 head frissee, washed and picked
1 ea. lemon, zest
2 ea. Roma tomato, coarse chop
½ ea. shallot, sliced
1 ea. garlic, sliced
1 T. white wine
To taste salt, pepper, chopped chervil
1. Grill the roma tomatoes whole until charred and blistered.
2. Sweat the shallots and garlic, deglaze with white wine and add charred tomatoes. Cook on low heat for 20 minutes, adjust seasoning and blend
3. Combine chickpea flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper and dredge the halloumi in the mixture.
4. Pan fry the halloumi until golden brown on both sides.
5. Sauce the bottom of the plate and arrange the crispy halloumi, heirloom tomato slices, and basil in alternating order.
6. Garnish with frisse seasoned with lemon zest and chervil.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Hurricane Party and Survival Tips From Miami's Best Chefs
Sat., Oct. 24, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 31, 8:00pm
Sat., Nov. 7, 7:00pm
Fri., Dec. 11, 6:30pm
- Miami Dolphins Get Stadium, Food Upgrades: Sloppy Joe's, Versailles, Bodega Taqueria y...
- Stripsteak Brunch: Braised Bacon, Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes, and an Endless Dessert...