Cockroach Death: Five Other Foods That Can Kill You
The winner of a cockroach- and worm-eating contest at the Ben Siegal Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach collapsed and died shortly after winning a $700 ivory ball python Friday. Authorities say 32-year-old Edward Archbold began feeling sick and vomited after eating dozens of cockroaches and worms. Later he was DOA. "We feel terribly awful," store owner Ben Siegel told the Miami Herald. "He looked like he just wanted to show off and was very nice."
The incident made worldwide news, capturing headlines as far away as London and Australia. In honor of the unfortunate Archbold, and the rest of the world seeing America as face-eaters and cockroach-croakers, Short Order presents five foods that could come with a funeral.
Blowfish are served in some Japanese restaurants. They contain a potent poison, tetrodotoxin, that can cause paralysis or death if improperly prepared.
4. Hot Dogs
Eating a fatal frankfurter is low on our radar. However, several people, mostly children, have actually died from choking on the cylindrical American favorite.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Choices Coconut Grove Opens This Weekend, Fifth Location Planned for Weston
Tue., Mar. 1, 8:00pm
Fri., Mar. 18, 8:00pm
Sat., Mar. 19, 8:00pm
Tue., Mar. 22, 8:00pm
- Miami Asian Fruit Fly Quarantine to Be Lifted This Weekend
- Miami's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: Boat Show, Valentine's Day, Grove Arts Festival