Bunnie Cakes Hosts Halloween Cupcake Demo at Aventura Mall
Bunnie Cakes goodies for Halloween.
Courtesy of Bunnie Cakes
If you're looking to up the ante this Halloween to something a little more impressive than store-bought candy full of corn syrup, Bunnie Cakes has just the thing.
South Florida's first vegan bakery is demoing delicious vegan pumpkin spiced cupcakes at Aventura Mall from 1 to 3 p.m. on Halloween, so you can whip up a dessert that'll make everyone wanna ditch their sacks of sugary corporate crap.
A Halloween cake at Bunnie Cakes.
Courtesy of Bunnie Cakes
Mariana Cortez, Bunnie Cakes founder and cupcake queen, will be leading attendees through the recipe. After the demo, she'll help judge a costume contest for kids 12 and under. Winners will score prizes, so bring the kiddos in their creepiest (or cutest) attire.
Here's the recipe in all its seasonal glory:
Pumpkin Spiced Cupcakes
- 2 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- Half a teaspoon of baking soda
- Half teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- Half teaspoon of nutmeg
- Half a teaspoon of ginger
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup of evaporated cane sugar
- 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
- In a small bowl, mix all the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, mix the apple cider vinegar and milk. Let stand for a few minutes to thicken, then mix the pumpkin puree, sugar, and oil, being careful not to over mix.
- Scoop the flour mixture into the cupcake baking sheet. Place the mixture in a mini cupcake baking sheet, and bake for 12 minutes. Cool and decorate.
- 1 cup of refrigerated vegan butter
- 2 cups of unbleached confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 3/4 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ? teaspoon of salt
- A pinch of cinnamon
- Add food coloring to frosting: green / orange / purple.
- Add food coloring to fondant: black / orange / brown / purple.
- For Halloween decorations, use cookie cutters.
The demo will take place from 1 to 3 p.m. on Saturday, October 31, at Macy's Aventura Home Store, 19503 Biscayne Blvd., Aventura. Free to attend; for more informational, visit eventbrite.com.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.