If you're looking to up the ante this Halloween to something a little more impressive than store-bought candy full of corn syrup, Bunnie Cakes has just the thing.
South Florida's first vegan bakery is demoing delicious vegan pumpkin spiced cupcakes at Aventura Mall from 1 to 3 p.m. on Halloween, so you can whip up a dessert that'll make everyone wanna ditch their sacks of sugary corporate crap.
Mariana Cortez, Bunnie Cakes founder and cupcake queen, will be leading attendees through the recipe. After the demo, she'll help judge a costume contest for kids 12 and under. Winners will score prizes, so bring the kiddos in their creepiest (or cutest) attire.
Here's the recipe in all its seasonal glory:
Pumpkin Spiced Cupcakes
- 2 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- Half a teaspoon of baking soda
- Half teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- Half teaspoon of nutmeg
- Half a teaspoon of ginger
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup of evaporated cane sugar
- 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
- In a small bowl, mix all the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, mix the apple cider vinegar and milk. Let stand for a few minutes to thicken, then mix the pumpkin puree, sugar, and oil, being careful not to over mix.
- Scoop the flour mixture into the cupcake baking sheet. Place the mixture in a mini cupcake baking sheet, and bake for 12 minutes. Cool and decorate.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
- 1 cup of refrigerated vegan butter
- 2 cups of unbleached confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 3/4 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ? teaspoon of salt
- A pinch of cinnamon
- Add food coloring to frosting: green / orange / purple.
- Add food coloring to fondant: black / orange / brown / purple.
- For Halloween decorations, use cookie cutters.
The demo will take place from 1 to 3 p.m. on Saturday, October 31, at Macy's Aventura Home Store, 19503 Biscayne Blvd., Aventura. Free to attend; for more informational, visit eventbrite.com.