Miami ranks 9th on a list of places where people like wiener meat in their buns.
The new list, released by Ballpark, names the 10 most hot dog consuming cities based on total retail sales excluding Walmart.
According to the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, a "project of the American Meat Institute," (http://www.hot-dog.org), Americans consume an estimated 7 billion hot dogs between Memorial and Labor days.
Ballpark's Hot Dog Roadtrip highlights a local preparation for each of the buyingest cities in America. Miami was recognized for the Cuban style hot dog, "which calls for lettuce, avocado, mojo sauce, and pineapple."
Contrary to what the list implies, Short Order says that it is the Colombians who rule the Miami hot dog market, and Los Perros is king.
Now, check out the full list as determined by Ballpark......
10. Charleston (SC) - So popular it spans both North and South Carolina the Carolina dog is served with chili, coleslaw, mustard and onions.
9. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale (FL) - Known for its spicy flavor and hot temperatures, this city's "hot" dog is modeled after a Cuban recipe, which calls for lettuce, avocado, mojo sauce (a sauce combining garlic and olive oil) and pineapple.
8. Harrisburg/Scranton (PA) - Home to the Texas Weiner, which contrary to popular belief, has nothing to do with Texas. Although there have been debates in the past on whether this hot dog originated in New Jersey or Pennsylvania, one thing is certain - this misnomer of a dog is deep fried and served with Greek sauce consisting of a smooth, slow cooked meat sauce spiced with cayenne, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and cumin.
7. Boston (MA) - One of the nation's most famous franks, the Fenway Frank is boiled and grilled, then served in a New England-style bun topped with mustard and relish.
6. San Antonio/Corpus Christi (TX) - A popular hot dog in the Lone Star state, the Tex-Mex dog is topped with salsa, Monterrey Jack cheese and chopped jalapenos.
5. Chicago (IL) - Widely known for its "Classic Chicago Dog," this elaborate dog is served in a poppy seed bun with yellow mustard, green relish, chopped raw onion, fresh tomato, a pickle spear and topped with touch of celery salt.
4. Philadelphia (PA) - One of the most unique recipes in the nation, the Philly Combo consists of an all-beef hot dog and a potato fish cake topped with mustard and onions.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
3. Baltimore (MD)/Washington, D.C. - Popular within the nation's capital, the Monumental Dog is typically an all-beef frank topped with banana peppers, onions, diced red peppers, sliced pickles and served on steamed potato hot dog bun that has been spread with mayonnaise.
2. Los Angeles (CA) - This west coast wiener is wrapped with Mexican style bacon and includes grilled onions, jalapeno or bell peppers and salsa.
1. New York (NY) - Considered the hot dog capital of the nation by many Americans, New York City's infamous street cart dog is boiled and then served with a special onion sauce and deli-style yellow mustard or in some cases, sauerkraut.