Between Yelp, Four Square, Trip Advisor, and whatever else, we're all critics these days. Really, all it takes is a keyboard and some Internet access and you have an audience.
Unfortunately, not many people get rewarded for their foodie opinions -- aside from maybe a complimentary meal every now and then. But now through May 31, the public can vote on the best Australian lamb dishes at specific restaurants for a chance to win a Miami staycation and cash for their favorite chef through the Australian Lamb Dish Spring Fling Competition.
An offshoot of Meat & Livestock, Ltd., Australian Lamb was created to foster world leadership for the Australian lamb industry. The Miami-based competition is the latest in a series of events around the country held to spread the word about using more lamb in bars and eateries.
"We're hosting this contest to find the best Australian lamb dish in the Miami area," said Kristin Gibbons of Summit Marketing Group. "Lamb is very popular during Easter, with the winter holiday season in second place. We want chefs to put their creativity to work to menu different cuts of lamb and give diners something new to try."
By "liking" the Australian Lamb Facebook page and clicking on the vote now link, you can choose a favorite from the list of participating chefs. One random voter will win a three-day trip to Miami for two, including round-trip airfare, $150 spending money, and dinner at the winning Voter's Choice restaurant as well as the Grand Prize restaurant.
While the public portion of the competition will give $500 to the winning chef, the contest has a professional judging component. The chef who wins the professional judging aspect gets a ten-day chef's trip to Australia.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Participating chefs/restaurants include:
- Ilde Ferrer, Ortanique On The Mile, slow roasted Australian lamb ribs
- Micah Edelstein, neMesis Urban Bistro, Aussie lamb belly char siu with Korean-style chive peanut pancake, pickled tri-coloured carrots, and piri piri oil
- Conor Hanlon, The Dutch Miami, Australian lamb saddle, goat cheese polenta, romesco
- Andy Trousdale, Le Bistro, mustard and chive crusted Australian rack of lamb, shiraz jus, yellow petit pan squash
- Jamie DeRosa, Tongue & Cheek, rigatoni with Aussie lamb belly ragu, braised kale, Castelevtrano olives, and ricotta
- Michael Reidt, Pilgrim Culinary, Aussie lamb shoulder, beer braised neck, Serrano ham, smoked mamey sapote, and black bean granola
- Joe Natoli, Catch Bar and Grill, Australian lamb shank, chili apricot glaze, grilled fingerling potatoes, spring succotash
- Brad Kilgore, St. Regis Bal Harbor, Australian lamb rack mushroom bolognese, and broccoli rabe
- Sean Brasel, Meat Market, Aussie BBQ ribs
- Aaron Brooks, Edge Steak & Bar, fire-roasted lamb chops, shank cooked with chipotle and spices
- Giorgio Rapicavoli, Eating House, Australian lamb "vaca frita" with creamed and roasted plantain
Follow Sara Ventiera on Twitter, @saraventiera.