August openings and closings in Miami are predictably slow, with most restaurant owners preferring to wait until the fall crowds to open. By the same thought process, if a restaurant made it this far along in the summer, chances are it has enough capital and a following to survive through the rest of the slow season and into the more lucrative time of year.
While there haven't been many openings and closings, some were quite significant.
Continental Miami, Stephen Starr's stylish tribute to late 1960s-era dining, opened at the Aloft South Beach in August with a menu divided between American comfort fare and Asian-inspired favorites. Brasserie Azur brought South Beach style and South of France beauty to the Shops of Midtown Miami. Casual restaurants dominated this months openings with Alberto Cabrera's Little Bread Cuban Sandwich Co., Wynwood Diner, Cheeseburger Baby, and Cafe Nikki all giving Miami much needed affordable places to gather.
1826 shocked Miami by abruptly closing. The gorgeous South Beach stunner, named Best Restaurant South Beach 2014, was heralded for its gorgeous interior and beautiful food, elaborately created by chef Danny Grant. Grant left the restaurant, and the kitchen was taken over by Luke Bergman, who also left. 1826, considered to be the most promising restaurant in South Beach, closed in the middle of August, without much fanfare.
Speaking of fanfare, if you're going to go, go with a party. At least, that's what the people behind Piola South Beach thought when they threw their own funeral last evening. The restaurant closed after serving SoBe for 15 years after landlords raised their rent.
There were also two mention-worthy temporary closings in August. Soho Bay shut down on August 3, a victim of Miami Beach street construction. General manager Max Heindl, said, "Right now, I don't even have a street. There's no access to the restaurant whatsoever because of the construction." Heindl is currently looking for pop-up locations for the restaurant to retain staff and promises to reopen as soon as street conditions improve.
Cavalli Miami also closed for renovations. According to Amy Noel Oman, Cavalli's director of marketing and events, the restaurant closed last Tuesday and was cleaned out for a facelift. "We're slated to reopen late November or early December. We wanted to get this done before season hits." According to Oman, the changes will be mostly cosmetic, with some general updating, but no specifics were provided. When asked whether there was a chance of Cavalli not turning the lights back on, Oman was adamant about Cavalli returning to the SoBe scene. "We want to put our best foot forward with great service and great food on the table. The plan is to reopen."
- Brasserie Azur (3252 NE First Ave., Miami)
Continental Miami at Aloft South Beach
Little Bread Cuban Sandwich Co.
- Cafe Nikki at Nikki Beach Miami
- Ni.Do. Cafe (11052 Biscayne Blvd., Miami)
- Wynwood Diner (2601 N.W. Second Ave., Miami)
- Cheeseburger Baby (212 NE 79 St., Miami)
- Piola South Beach
- Cavalli Miami (150 Ocean Dr., Miami Beach)
- Soho Bay (520 West Ave., Miami Beach)
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- Apeiro Kitchen & Bar - Coming to Midtown.
- Bachour Bakery and Bistro - The master baker opens a bistro.
- Bazi - Michael Pirolo's take on Asian.
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach
- Beacon Hill Chocolates - Opening in MiMo.
- Beaker & Gray - Opening in Wynwood.
- Bikini Barista - Coming to midtown.
- Biscayne Bay Brewing Company - Opening in Doral.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Choices Cafe - Opening in Coconut Grove.
- Dirt - Plant-based meals coming to SoBe.
- Della Bowls - Plant based fast casual.
- Dragonfly - Third of the Florida chain and first in Miami-Dade coming to Doral.
- Drinkhouse Fire & Ice - Ice bar opening in South Beach.
- El Tucan - Cocktail lounge in Brickell coming this fall.
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again.
- Farinelli 1937 - Upscale pizza by the owners of Strada.
- Firito Taco - Opening on 79th St.
- Freddo Helado - Opening a second location in Brickell and one in Doral.
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood.
- Groovin' Bean - Coffee house and lounge opening in Overtown.
- Harry's Pizzeria - Chef Michael Schwartz to open a location in Coconut Grove.
- IGA Culinary School - Opening in North Miami.
- Izzy's Fish & Oyster - Chef Jamie DeRosa plans a New England fish shack.
- Jimmy'z Kitchen - Opening in Brickell.
- Juan Valdez Cafe - Opening in North Miami.
- Laffa Mediterranean Kitchen - From the My Ceviche team.
- Le Macaron - Opening at Dadeland and other locations.
- M.U.G. - Cafe and hair salon opening in Wynwood.
- Marion - Mediterranean bistro opening in Brickell.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- Ms. Cheezious - Planning expansion.
- My Ceviche - Coming to Midtown and MIA
- NaiYaRa - Chef Bee to open Thai Asian street food bistro in SoBe.
- Naked Burger - Chef Ralph Pagano at it again.
- Nobu - Famed chef o relocates restaurant on Miami Beach.
- Itabe - Kevin Aoki and Roman Jones collaborate on a restaurant.
- Paraiso Bay Restaurant and Beach Club - Michael Schwartz opening a restaurant at this Edgewater complex.
- Panther Coffee - Opening in MiMo, and Little Haiti.
- PB Station - The Pubbelly Boys open in Miami.
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami.
- Phuc Yea! - Popular pop-up opening in MiMo
- Pisco y Nazca Ceviche Gastrobar - From the folks at Bulla.
- Quinto La Huella - Uruguay's Parador La Huella coming to Miami.
- Paulie Gee's Brooklyn pizza - Coming to Upper Eastside.
- Pasion del Cielo - Opening in Brickell and Doral.
- Pincho Factory - Opening another location in Hialeah and at AAA.
- Pubbelly Sushi - Opening second location.
- Quinta La Huella - Opening soon.
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine.
- Segafredo - Opening in Bayside.
- Sliderz - Slider concept coming to North Miami.
- Stellino's - Italian cuisine coming to Doral.
- Sugar Factory - Opening second location on Lincoln Road.
- Sullivan St. Bakery - Opening in Little Haiti.
- Sunny's - Spike Mendelsohn opening a place in Miami Beach.
- The Spillover - Lokal explores the sea.
- Spring Chicken - 50 Eggs doing fast casual chicken near UM
- Sweet Liberty Drink & Supply Company - Mixologist John Lermayer and partners to open a cocktail lounge.
- Talde - Dale Talde to open Asian-inspired cuisine at Thompson Miami Beach Hotel.
- Tanuki - From Moscow to South Beach.
- Tap 42 -Fort Lauderdale gastropub opening in Coral Gables.
- Taste Buds of India - Coral Springs rest opening in South Miami.
- Toasted Bagels - Coming to Coral Gables.
- Tobacco Road - New and improved Road opening this winter.
- Total Wine & More - Opening in South Beach.
- TiramesU - Opening SoFi.
- Trust & Co. - Bank meets Steampunk in Coral Gables.
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon.
- Uncle Tom's Barbecue - Opening in Homestead.
- Which Wich - Opening several locations in Miami.
- Whole Foods Market - proposed mega store in Sunset Harbour.
- Wynwood Yard Pop-Up - Coming in the Fall.
- Zak the Baker - Planning an expansion of his cafe and bakery.
- Zest - Cindy Hutson opening a restaurant and fast-casual concept.
Projects in the Works
- Jugofresh's Matthew Sherman and Darren Laszlo plan to open a new concept in Sunset Harbour.
- Chef Alex Stupak is shopping for a location in Miami for a taco restaurant.
- Joel Robuchon and Jean-George Vongerichten are both opening eateries in the Design District
- Arjun Wanjey, a partner at Zuma and Coya, will open a French restaurant in Brickell in the coming year.