August 2012 Restaurant Openings and Closings
Michelle Bernstein brings Crumb to SoBe.
Though generally slow-moving, August in Miami saw a surprising amount of new growth in the restaurant biz.
Many restaurants opened including Michelle Bernstein's Crumb at the Webster and the reemergence of pop-up favorite Eating House.
Speaking of pop-ups, Dining Room closed its doors on Washington Avenue to open a pop-up at Vesper Brasserie at the Shelborne Hotel. Unfortunately, the pop-up closed after a brief period of time. According to the Shelborne, Vesper will reopen, but the date is uncertain.
And pop-up favorite Broken Shaker will open in the fall as a full-scale restaurant.
Look for some interesting concepts coming to Miami, including the Motown-inspired South Street Restaurant & Bar, Acme Bakery & Coffee from the people behind The Federal, and more barbecue (Swine Southern Table & Bar and Pride & Joy).
Crumb at The Webster
Exit 1 (opened in July @ 1111 Crandon Boulevard, Key Biscayne)
Brother Jimmy's BBQ
Tikl Raw Bar
Aijo Sushi Bar (opened July 20)
100 Montaditos in Kendall (16501 N. Kendall Drive)
Rock That Burger (from the Yellow Submarine food truck guys - 7138 SW 117 Avenue)
The Fresh Market opened at The Falls
Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar
Dining Room - Closed as a restaurant, opened as a pop-up at Vesper, then closed this week.
Villa Mayfair (closed until October, 2012)
Vesper at the Shelborne (re-opening date TBA)
Khong will open sometime in 2012.
- Khong - Asian concept from John Kunkel and 50 Eggs. Speaking of 50 Eggs.....
- Swine Southern Table & Bar - Yardbird's pork-centric sister (also from 50 Eggs) is scheduled for a fall debut.
- The Broken Shaker - the Bar Lab guys are bringing back their pop-up. For keeps.
- South Street Restaurant & Bar - Former Sra. Martinez space turns soulful (from Gigi's Amir Ben-Zion). Speaking of....
- Cooper Avenue - A city of food based on outer boroughs Brooklyn and Queens opens in September. Again from Amir Ben-Zion.
- Acme Bakery & Coffee - from the folks at The Federal.
Panther Coffee is coming to South Beach
Florida Cookery - Kris Wessel opens at The Royal Palm in October.
- Dylan's Candy Bar - Ralph Lauren's daughter is sweet on Lincoln Road - coming in November.
- Sakaya Kitchen - Planned expansion by owner Richard Hales.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming this fall.
- The Cheese Course - A downtown Miami location to open in the fall.
- Pride and Joy - Myron Mixon's BBQ mecca opens in Wynwood this September.
- HuaHua's - Todd Erickson's Lincoln Road tacqueria.
- Frita Shop - Alberto Cabrera's Cuban burger joint.
- Yard House - Chain grub with many many beers.
- MC Kitchen - Dena Marino in the former Fratelli Lyon Space, scheduled to open in September.
- Cipriani - New York icon due at the Icon Brickell this fall.
- La Cantina 20 - Another Icon tenant getting set to move in.
- Catch - By Top Chef's Hung Huynh, due in SoBe this November.
- Restaurant du Cap - Philippe Ruiz' much anticipated venue coming to Brickell in November.
- The Restaurant at The Raleigh - Michael Schwartz' venture arriving this fall.
- Ikea - Coming 2014
- Corner Bakery Cafe - New baked goods chain opens September 3 at The Falls.
- Mr. Frog's - Coconut Grove casual beer joint opens September 1.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.