April 2016 Miami Restaurant Openings and Closings
The Caviar Russe boutique sells caviar, champagne, artisanal smoked fish, and fois gras.
Photo by Valeria Nekhim Lease
Miami's restaurant scene is blossoming this spring with a host of eateries opening at all price points and for all tastes.
Fast-casual eateries such as SoCal Taco and Ms. Cheezious opened this month, giving Miami more affordable dining options.
On the flip side of the coin, Caviar Russe at the Four Seasons offers an opulent menu of caviar, champagne, and foie gras — sometimes upward of $10,000.
The Pubbelly Boys opened their much-anticipated PB Station and Pawnbroker lounge at the Langford Hotel in downtown Miami, and Dragonfly opened in Doral.
The abrupt closing of Bází this past weekend stunned the Miami culinary community. The restaurant by Michael Pirolo and Jennifer Chaefsky closed after only eight months. The culinary couple's Macchialina, on the other side of South Beach, continues to thrive.
PB Station is open.
Photo by Juan Fernando Ayora @juanfayora
- Barbacoa at Josh's Deli
- Caviar Russe at Four Seasons Miami
- Dragonfly (5241 NW 87th Ave, Doral).
- IKEA Restaurant reopens with new look, coffee lounge (1801 NW 117th Ave., Miami)
- Manna Life Food (80 NE 2nd Ave., Miami)
- Miami Breeze Diner (3032 Biscayne Blvd., Miami)
Ms. Cheezious (second location at 1915 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Coral Gables)
- PB Station at the Langford Hotel (121 SE 1st St., Miami)
- Pawn Broker at the Langford Hotel (121 SE 1st St., Miami)
- Philly Grub (99 NW 54th St., Miami)
- Pincho Factory (4950 W 12th Ave, Hialeah and Orlando)
- Pho Mi 2 Go (17010 W. Dixie Hwy
- Raw Juice (19911 Biscayne Blvd., Aventura)
- SoCal Taco (141 SW 7th St. Miami)
Sugar Factory (second location, 647 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach)
- Vice City Bean (657 N Miami Ave., Miami)
Viva Mexico: Gone but not forgotten.
(Not known when these restaurants will reopen, but permanent closing not confirmed)
- 305 Brews - Beer bar opening in midtown Miami
- 5411 Empanadas - From Chicago to Coral Gables
- Agave Taco Bar - Opening in Doral
- Angelo Elia Pizza Bar - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- The Avenue - British pub fare and American beer to open in A&E District
- Azucar - Opening near FIU
- Baby Jane - The people who brought you Ariete open Baby Jane
- Bake House - Opening in Miami Beach
- Bikini Barista - Coming to midtown
- Bird & Bone - Richard Hales opening chicken and rib place at Wynwood Yard
- Biscayne Bay Brewing Company - Opening in Doral
- Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill - Opening in Miami
- Bousa Brewing Co. - Brewery opening in Little River District
- The Broken Shaker - Opening in Los Angeles
- Bulla Gastrobar - Opening in Doral
- Cake Thai Kitchen - Opening in Wynwood
- Conch Shell Cafe - opening in Brickell
- Coyo Taco - Opening second location in Wynwood
- Employees Only - Famed New York City bar opening in Miami Beach
- Estefan Kitchen - Gloria and Emilio are at it again
- Freddo Helado - Opening in Doral
- Gravity Brewlab - Opening in Wynwood
- Graziano's - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- Groovin' Bean - Coffeehouse and lounge opening in Overtown
- Hank & Harry's - Buzzy Sklar to open NY-style deli in SoBe
- Harry's Pizzeria - Chef Michael Schwartz expanding several locations
- Honeybee Doughnuts - Fresh doughnuts coming to South Miami
- IceBox Cafe - Opening at Aventura ParkSquare project
- In The Kitchen With Norman van Aken - Opening at Wynwood Arcade
- Kiki on the River - Greek cuisine on the river
- Jodi's Italian Ice - Opening soon
- Jugofresh Kitchen - Opening in Sunset Harbour
- Junior's - Iconic cheesecake and restaurant opening
- La Muse Cafe - Jamie DeRosa opening a Brickell café
- Latin House Grill - Opening near FIU
- Le Macaron - Opening at Dadeland Mall and other locations
- Local Boy POke - Opening in Wynwood
- Mediterranean Kitchen - Opening in Aventura
- Mojo Donuts & Fried Chicken - Coming to Westchester
- Ms. Cheezious - Planning expansion
- My Ceviche - Coming to Midtown and MIA
- Itabe - Kevin Aoki and Roman Jones collaborate on a restaurant.
- Palmeiras Beach Club - Opening in Coconut Grove
- Panther Coffee - Opening in MiMo, and Little Haiti
- Paraiso Bay Restaurant & Beach Club - Michael Schwartz opening a restaurant at this Edgewater complex
- Pasion del Cielo - Opening in Brickell and Doral
- Paulie Gee's Brooklyn pizza - Coming to Upper Eastside
- Persona Pizzeria - California chain coming to Miami
- Phuc Yea! - Popular pop-up opening in MiMo
- Pincho Factory - Opening several locations in Doral, West Kendall, Pinecrest
- Pubbelly Sushi - Opening second location at Brickell City Centre
- Quinto La Huella - Opening soon at East Miami Hotel.
- Revolution in Bloom - Vegan and vegetarian cuisine
- Salty Donut - Doughnut shop coming to Wynwood
- Spanglish Ales - Another brewery to open in Wynwood
- The Spillover - Lokal explores the sea
- Spring Chicken - Several other locations opening
- Sullivan St. Bakery - Opening in Little Haiti
- Tacocraft - Opening in South Miami
- Tanuki - From Moscow to South Beach
- Tap 42 - Fort Lauderdale gastropub opening in Coral Gables
- Taste Buds of India - Coral Springs restaurant opening in South Miami
- Toasted Bagels - Coming to Coral Gables
- Tobacco Road - New and improved Road opening this winter
- Tropical Barbecue - Kris Wessel returns with Little Haiti barbecue place
- Tutto Il Giorno - Authentic Italian fare coming soon
- Unbranded Brewing Company - Hialeah's first brewery
- Union Beer - Beer to-go and bar opening in Little Havana
- Velvet Creme - Iconic doughnuts returning to Miami
- Which Wich - Opening several locations in Miami
- Whole Foods Market - Proposed megastore in Sunset Harbour
- Zak the Baker - Planning an expansion of his café and bakery
Photo by Dylan Rives/Getty Images for Food Network SoBe Wine & Food Festival
Projects in the Works
- Chef Alex Stupak is shopping for a location in Miami for a taco restaurant.
- Joël Robuchon is opening eateries in the Design District.
- Arjun Wanjey, a partner at Zuma and Coya, will open a French restaurant in Brickell this year.
- Jeff McInnis and Janine Booth will open a seafood restaurant at the former PB Steak location in Sunset Harbour.
- Jose Garces is rumored to be opening a Miami restaurant.
- Alfredo Patino plans to open a French concept on 79th Street.
- Embarek Alibay will open a café adjacent to his La Parisienne Bakery (1909 NE 154th St., North Miami Beach).
- Geoffrey Zakarian mentioned opening a restaurant at the Diplomat in Hallandale Beach.
- Marcus Samuelsson and his team are going forward with a proposed restaurant in Overtown.
- A 38,000 Sq. Ft. Italian Food Market will open at Brickell City Centre.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.