April 2013 Restaurant Openings and Closings
Tongue & Cheek opened in April.
Courtesy Tongue & Cheek
April showers may bring May flowers, but they also brought a lot of restaurant openings and closings to Miami -- some of them surprising, some expected.
Two long-awaited restaurants opened on Miami Beach. Restaurant Michael Schwartz at the Raleigh Hotel, in the works for over a year, finally opened; and Tongue & Cheek, from the combined talents of Jamie DeRosa and Michael Reginbogin began serving.
Unfortunately, April also brought many closings. South Street abruptly shuttered its doors, though its Facebook page asked us to "STAY TUNED FOR WHAT'S NEXT"; and Acme Bakery & Coffee closed, citing high rents as one of the reasons why it couldn't make a go of it.
- Acropolis Greek Taverna
- Biscayne Tavern
- Charles St.
- Emack & Bolio's
- Polo Norte -- South Beach location
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz at the Raleigh Hotel
- Stanzione 87
- Tongue & Cheek
- Wok Town
- Wolfgang's Steakhouse
- Acme Bakery & Coffee
- Asia de Cuba
- Icebox Cafe (closing Lincoln Road location to relocate to Sunset Harbor in May).
- South Street
- STK (closing for hotel renovations. Should re-open in the fall).
- Radio Pop-Up lounge has turned permanent.
- Aoki Teppanyaki - Coming to Dadeland.
- Aroma Espresso Bar - Coming to Dadeland.
- Balan's - Opening another location in Dadeland.
- Barley & Swine - Opening in Dadeland.
- Barnickel's - Coconut Grove eatery opening soon.
- Bar Lorenzo - Top Chef Tony Mantuano is opening an Italian restaurant soon.
- Baru Urbano - Opening another location at the old Ricochet space.
- Batch - Gastropub coming to Brickell.
- Bobby Flay's Burger Palace - Coming to Dadeland.
- Bricktop's - Chain restaurant coming to Coral Gables.
- China Grill - Moving to Brickell.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming soon.
- Cipriani Downtown Miami- New York icon due at the Icon Brickell.
- Earl's Kitchen & Bar - Coming to Dadeland.
- Gravity Brewbar - Opening in Wynwood.
- Harvey Wolf - Completes the trio of European pubs, along with Boxpark and The Hoxton.
- HuaHua's - Todd Erickson's Lincoln Road tacqueria to open early 2013.
- Icebox Cafe - Reopening a new location at Sunset Harbour.
- Ikea - Coming 2014
- Jefe's Original Fish Taco & Burger - Food truck going brick and mortar.
- L'Entrecote de Paris - Steak frites and only steak frites.
- La Cantina 20 - Another Icon tenant getting set to move in.
- Lure Fishbar - The New York seafood restaurant is coming to the Loews Miami Beach.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- Ms. Cheezious - The food truck is opening a shop.
- N Lounge - Kevin Cory to open a lounge next door to NAOE.
- Panther Coffee - Opening second location in SoBe.
- Perfecto Mediterranean Cafe - Opening in Brickell.
- Pinkberry - Opening a shop on Lincoln Road.
- Poor Man's Lobster - From the folks at Mandolin.
- Restaurant du Cap - Philippe Ruiz' much anticipated venue coming to Brickell.
- The Restaurant at The Raleigh - Michael Schwartz' venture arriving winter 2013.
- Spaghetto - One just opened, several more in the works.
- STK - Reopening in the fall.
- SushiSamba - Opening second Miami-area location in Coral Gables.
- Sweetness Bake Shop - Another branch of the popular shop opening in Hialeah.
- Trader Joe's - Coming to Pinecrest in 2013.
- Umami Burger - The California craze is opening in Miami Beach very soon.
- Urban Oxy - Coffee house with affordable bites.
- VooDoo BBQ and Grill - Bringing some mojo to Kendall.
- Wood Tavern - Opening a pizzeria next door.
- Wynwood Brewing Company - Opening soon.
- Yard House - Chain grub with many many beers.
Projects in the Works
- A fast-casual Asian concept by 50 Eggs is coming to South Beach, adjacent to the original Lime on Alton Road.
- Giorgio Rapicavoli is planning a cocktail lounge adjacent to his Coral Gables restaurant, Eating House. He's also working on a doughnut shop.
3484 Main Highway
Miami, FL 33133
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.