Andy Griffith Dead at 86: Make Aunt Bee's Kerosene Pickles in His Honor
Andy Griffith, television's beloved sheriff on The Andy Griffith Show, has died at the age of 86. The actor died at his home in Roanoke Island, North Carolina, according to a statement from his family.
Though Griffith went on to have a long-lasting career in television and music, playing Matlock for nearly a decade and winning a Grammy for his Christian music, Griffith will best be remembered as the loveable and wise sheriff of Mayberry.
In honor of Griffith, we found a little bit of nostalgia for Short Order readers.
First, we've found a recipe for Aunt Bee's Kerosene Pickles, which are perfect for summer snacking (when you leave out the kerosine).
Aunt Bee's Kerosene Pickles
1 bunch dill
6 hot peppers
6 cloves garlic
6 slices onion
6 tsp. whole spices
6 lumps alum
1 qt. cider vinegar
2 qts. water
1 c. salt
6 one-quart pickling jars
- Wash and dry enough cucumbers for 6 sterilized 1 quart jars.
- In bottom of each jar place: some dill, 1 hot pepper, 1 clove of garlic, 1 slice of onion, 1 teaspoon whole spices, small lump of alum and cucumbers.
- Combine vinegar, water and salt in saucepan.
- Let mixture come to a rolling boil, then pour into the jars.
- Seal immediately.
- Makes 6 quarts.
We also found the entire episode, which involves Andy and Barney in an elaborate plot to hide the evidence.....of Aunt Bee's uneaten pickles:
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Ralph Pagano's Naked Tiki Opens Today
Tue., Mar. 1, 8:00pm
Fri., Mar. 18, 8:00pm
Sat., Mar. 19, 8:00pm
Tue., Mar. 22, 8:00pm
- Miami-Based Jarly Delivers Fresh-Baked Pastries to Your Doorstep
- The St. Regis Bal Harbour Named Best Hotel in Florida, Launches Burger Bar