70. Portobello Mushroom Sandwich at the Cafe at Books & Books
It's that time of year again when we count down to New Times' Best of
Miami 2012 issue in June. Until then, Short Order will serve up 100 of
our favorite dishes in the 305. If you have any nominations of your own,
please send them to email@example.com.
70. Portobello Mushroom Sandwich at the Café at Books & Books
Vegetarians generally get the shaft when it comes to eating at restaurants. A pasta dish, salad, or veggie platter seem to be the requisite choices for the veg among us.
Which is why the Café at Books & Books continues to delight and surprise us when we're in the mood to eat with a conscience. The restaurant features a full-on vegan section in addition to a host of vegetarian options.
The portobello mushroom burger ($10.95) is especially satisfying.
Let's be clear -- though it's listed under burgers, there's no meat involved. Just a large, juicy portobello mushroom cap smothered in molten Jack cheese and chilies. Portobellos have a firm texture and rich flavor, making them a good alternative to a beef burger. This sandwich is so packed with flavor that if someone asks, "Where's the beef?" you won't even bother to look.
100 Favorites Dishes
71. Grilled Wings at Shuckers Bar & Grill
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Animal Rights Activist, Author Susan Hargreaves to Speak at Earthsave Vegan Potluck...
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz Brunch: Bottomless DIY Bloodys, Prime Rib Sandwich, and...
- Miami's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: WMC, Typsy Mermaid, and Florida Derby
- Freshii Opening New Location in Miami International Mall