New Times' Best of Miami 2012 issue is coming June 14. Until then,
Short Order will serve up 100 of our favorite dishes in the 305. If you
want to vote on which restaurant has the best dish, click here.
6. Pork Belly at Pubbelly
The pork belly ($15) at Pubbelly is truly a great example of a signature dish; although there are seasonal shifts and plate replacements on occasion, this belly has been on the menu since the restaurant opened. It's one of those things that falls under my grandfather's category of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
These fatty slabs arrive bathed in a thick butterscotch and miso glaze, a most glorious balance of sweet and salty. There's a meat meltdown in your mouth on first contact, the excess fat layers are beyond luscious. A golden purée made from Japanese squash coddles the pork, offering a dipping sauce of sorts that it pumpkin-tastic. "Corn powder" and a little sea salt create a crumb topping that sticks to the caramel coated belly. It's rich and heavy, and although the ingredients feel wintery, they mesh so well that it's irrelevant. Indulging in this small slice of fat-filled heaven is encouraged at all times.
100 Favorite Dishes
9. Bone Marrow with Veal Cheek Marmalade at Sugarcane
10. Grilled Branzino at Tudor House
11. Spicy Beer Tenderloin at Zuma
12. Red Snapper Fish in a Bowl at Joe's Stone Crab
13. Pappardelle Cio Ciara at Sardinia Enoteca Ristorante
43. Ackee Empanadas at Vegetarian Restaurant by Hakin
44. Seafood Orgy at CVI.CHE 105
45. Rio Acai Bowl at Apple A Day
46. Aji Amarillo Ceviche at My Ceviche
47. Lunch Boat Special at Benihana
48. Victoria Station at The News Lounge
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!