32. Gratinée of Mac and Cheese at Meat Market
It's that time of year when we count down to New Times' Best of Miami
2012 issue in June. Until then, Short Order will serve up 100 of our
favorite dishes in the 305. If you have any nominations of your own,
please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
33. Gratinée of Mac and Cheese at Meat Market
In terms of steakhouse sides, the macaroni and cheese at Meat Market is one of those prime examples in which less is more. Noodles. Cheese. That's it! Chef Sean Brasel uses white and cheddar and gouda, so the creamy taste of cheesy sauce has a nice sharp taste to it; no muddled down "white sauce" requiring a vat of salt and pepper to impart flavor. So really, it is what "isn't" in this macaroni dish that makes it so special. No bacon, no chunks of salty ham, no broccoli, no "truffled" anything...just skinny missiles of trofie pasta, thick in the center, delicately narrow at the edges, dripping with a dense sauce. It comes out naked, not covered in greasy buttered bread crumbs; just a slight
crispy exterior courtesy of a quickie toasting under the salamander prior to serving. There's no hardened "crust" as in other versions, which means that each bite is soft and pliable until the end. This gratinée is for mac-and-cheese purists, and you'll need a big spoon.
100 Favorite Dishes
43. Ackee Empanadas at Vegetarian Restaurant by Hakin
44. Seafood Orgy at CVI.CHE 105
45. Rio Acai Bowl at Apple A Day
46. Aji Amarillo Ceviche at My Ceviche
47. Lunch Boat Special at Benihana
48. Victoria Station at The News Lounge
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Hurricane Party and Survival Tips From Miami's Best Chefs
Sat., Oct. 24, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 31, 8:00pm
Sat., Nov. 7, 7:00pm
Fri., Dec. 11, 6:30pm
- Miami Dolphins Get Stadium, Food Upgrades: Sloppy Joe's, Versailles, Bodega Taqueria y...
- Stripsteak Brunch: Braised Bacon, Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes, and an Endless Dessert...