19. Empanada de Pabellon at La Latina
It's that time of year when we count down to New Times' Best of Miami 2012 issue in June. Until then, Short Order will serve up 100 of our favorite dishes in the 305. If you have any nominations of your own, please send them to email@example.com.
Courtesy of La Latina
19. Empanada de Pabellon
A tiny gem situated on the outskirts Midtown called La Latina houses the empanada de pabellon, which could easily be described as a pocket with black beans, shredded beef, and plantains inside - but it's far more than just that.
It's hot and nestled in a duo-colored checkered basket. After many failed attempts at devouring this empanada at first sight, we've learned waiting a little is best for the ultimate experience with a pocket made fresh for every order - delayed gratification: it's the new black. Soon, though, your mouth will find a homey, comforting feeling as it savors creamy black beans, seasoned shredded beef, and sweet, pasty plantains. It's your abuela's soothing comfort food conveniently packaged in a gluten-free golden delicious pocket. Can something so delicious really come out of such an unassuming, unpretentious looking dish?
100 Favorite Dishes
43. Ackee Empanadas at Vegetarian Restaurant by Hakin
44. Seafood Orgy at CVI.CHE 105
45. Rio Acai Bowl at Apple A Day
46. Aji Amarillo Ceviche at My Ceviche
47. Lunch Boat Special at Benihana
48. Victoria Station at The News Lounge
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Bazi to Open September 10
Sat., Oct. 31, 8:00pm
Sat., Nov. 7, 7:00pm
Thu., Dec. 3, 6:30pm
Fri., Dec. 11, 6:30pm
- Biscayne Diner Closes, Pubbelly Vets Coming Soon
- Wrapping Comes off Harry’s Pizzeria in Coconut Grove