12. Red Snapper in a Bowl at Joe's Stone Crab
New Times' Best of Miami 2012 issue is coming June 14. Until then, Short Order will serve up 100 of our favorite dishes in the 305. If you want to vote on which restaurant has the best dish, click here.
11. Red Snapper Fish in a Bowl at Joe's Stone Crab
Very rarely does a restaurant stay in the hands of the same family for more than a century, but Joe's at the south end of South Beach has managed just that. Since 1913, Joe's Stone Crab has been the place for the freshest, tastiest stone crab in Miami. So why then, have we chosen snapper as one of 100 favorite dishes?
"For the summer months. we give our chefs a chance to be creative," said general manager Brian Johnson.
With that freedom, sous chef David Salinas created the red snapper fish in a bowl ($26.95). A number of dishes were introduced to the specials menu for a trial run, but only the best were ultimately selected.
First, fresh snapper, never frozen, is seared all the way through in a stove top pan with Joe's special spice, which is called essence. The trick is here is the absolutely delicious mixture of salad and an incredible sauce made from locally grown green tomato and mango. The salad beneath the snapper features spinach, red onion and jumbo lump crabmeat, with a couple of grilled marinated artichokes on the side.
The snapper is cooked to an ideal temperature, requiring just a light fork stroke to break apart into chewable pieces. The best bites are clearly those that combine snapper, spinach and artichoke. The blend of fresh flavors work to perfection, especially with a chilled white wine to go on the side.
100 Favorite Dishes
43. Ackee Empanadas at Vegetarian Restaurant by Hakin
44. Seafood Orgy at CVI.CHE 105
45. Rio Acai Bowl at Apple A Day
46. Aji Amarillo Ceviche at My Ceviche
47. Lunch Boat Special at Benihana
48. Victoria Station at The News Lounge
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- The Salty Donut Is Popping Up in South Beach This Weekend
Tue., Mar. 1, 8:00pm
Fri., Mar. 18, 8:00pm
Sat., Mar. 19, 8:00pm
Tue., Mar. 22, 8:00pm
- Plant-Based Eating Author Rip Esselstyn at Whole Foods Coral Gables Wednesday
- Gastropod's Fried Chicken Sandwich Reigns Supreme