As a countdown to New Times' "Best of Miami" 2010, Short Order is
serving up 100 of our favorite dishes in the 305. Send your nominations
85. Vegan Ding Dong at Lido at The Standard
Chef Mark Zeitouni has quietly created one of the city's best repertoires of vegan, raw, and generally healthy foods at Lido at The Standard. Pastry chef Vanessa Lane has been doing her part too (and just as quietly), but it seems we sort of ruin things when we trumpet her desserts as vegan. "I don't want them to taste vegan or healthy or different at all," she insists. Success comes "When customers react with a 'Wow -- it tastes the same as...'"
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
And it does. Taste the same as a Ding Dong. Straight out of the wrapper. Almost. The qualification gets added because it's actually quite a bit fresher and, truth be told, much better. This Ding-Dong ($8) is also made from a higher quality chocolate, doesn't contain baking powder (thus no sulfates), and, well, we're not going to go into the whole shebang about the healthier ingredients used and blah blah blah. Just be prepared to be amazed at what a delicious dessert it is.
Hungry for more? The dishes in our countdown thus far are linked below:
100. Warm Buffala Mozzarella With Clay-Baked Roma Tomatoes and Eggplant at Timo
99. Butter Sweet Potato Pecan Cheesecake at the Mahogany Grille
98. Jerk Penne Pasta at Ortanique on the Mile
97. Herb-Basted Chicken Potpie at Gables Diner
96. Calzone Brooklynese at Pizza Volante
95. Deep-Fried Frogs' Legs at Coopertown Airboats in the Florida Everglades
94. Caramelized Onion Quiche at La Provence
93. Huevo Frito con Patatas, Jamón y Setas at Solea
92. Side of Bone Marrow Served With Steak at BLT Steak in the Betsy Hotel, South Beach
91. Swordfish at the Oceanaire Seafood Room
90. Twice-baked upside-down Gruyère cheese soufflé at Pascal's On Ponce
89. BBQ Shrimp at Red Light Little River
88. Thai Spring Rolls at The Asian Cultural Festival at Fruit and Spice Park
87. Sunday Fish Fry at The Shantel Lounge
86.Old Dirty Dawg at gastroPod Miami