100 Favorite Dishes: Herb-basted Chicken Pot Pie from Gables Diner
Photo by Riki Altman
As a countdown to New Times' "Best of Miami" 2010, Short Order is serving up
a hundred of our favorite dishes in the 305. Send your nominations
97. Herb-basted Chicken Pot Pie from Gables Diner
we all know pot pies can go terribly, terribly wrong. Sometimes the
dough is too dry or rubbery and sometimes the creamy innards remind us
more of... well, we'll just say it--semen, instead of sauce. But not on
version. Puncture the flakey, not too dense pastry crust and allow a
small puff of steam to escape, then plunge a fork down to find
mushrooms, peas, pearl onions, bits of carrot, and squares of
honest-to-goodness white meat chicken in a light, perfectly
complementary velouté. It almost makes you wish for more chilly days... Nah.
Hungry for more? The dishes in our countdown thus far are linked below:
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Animal Rights Activist, Author Susan Hargreaves to Speak at Earthsave Vegan Potluck...
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz Brunch: Bottomless DIY Bloodys, Prime Rib Sandwich, and...
- Miami's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: WMC, Typsy Mermaid, and Florida Derby
- Freshii Opening New Location in Miami International Mall