100 Favorite Dishes: Fried Fish Sandwich at Alabama Jack's
As a countdown to New Times' "Best of Miami" 2010, Short Order is
serving up 100 of our favorite dishes in the 305. Send your nominations
40. Fried Fish Sandwich at Alabama Jack's
Pretend you're going to the Keys, but instead of taking "the stretch," cut that last ditch left onto Card Sound Road and follow the winding asphalt two-lane through the mangrove swamp until you're almost in Monroe County, about 13 minutes if you're going the speed limit. Stop before the tollbooth, look to you're right and you'll be at Alabama Jack's, a real South Florida fish shack, honky tonk, bar, and eatery. This ceilinged, outdoor joint on the water is perfect for a smoke, serves up Florida Keys microbrews, and has great, fresh and simply prepared local seafood. The fried fish sandwich is crunchy outside, tender inside, tastes great with lime and comes in a big soft bread with lettuce, tomato, and pickle for $6.95. By the way, don't let the signs or anything else you read fool you, Alabama Jack's is actually in Miami-Dade, it just looks like the Keys.
58000 Card Sound Road, Key Largo
Hungry for more? The dishes in our countdown thus far are linked below:
49. Passion Fruit Panna Cotta at Bourbon Steak
48. Spicy Tuna Roll at Shoji Sushi
47. Bang Bang Shrimp at A Fish Called Avalon
46. Meatballs at Macaluso's
45. Goat Cheese Salad at Books & Books
44. Tacos al Carnitas Michoacan at Con Sabor a Mexico
43. Pan-Seared Sheepshead Fish Over Farro at Altamare
42. Deep-Fried Biscuit at the Pit Bar-B-Que
41. Joe's Stone Crab Claws
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Animal Rights Activist, Author Susan Hargreaves to Speak at Earthsave Vegan Potluck...
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz Brunch: Bottomless DIY Bloodys, Prime Rib Sandwich, and...
- Miami's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: WMC, Typsy Mermaid, and Florida Derby
- Freshii Opening New Location in Miami International Mall