100 Favorite Dishes: Caramelized Onion Quiche at La Provence
Photo by Riki Altman
As a countdown to New Times' "Best of Miami" 2010, Short Order is serving up 100 of our favorite dishes in the 305. Send your nominations to email@example.com.
94. Caramelized Onion Quiche at La Provence
Even the Frenchies know La Provence locations are tops for a quiche de resistance. Sure we can find the traditional egg pies Lorraine-style or specked with chicken and red pepper beckoning from behind the glass pastry case, but we're especially smitten with this beautiful caramelized onion version. Why? Well, first, it's just darn pretty; slices of caramelized onion gently peek out from its surface, replicating the roundness of the firm, slightly flakey crust. Secondly, along with its accompanying salad, this dish is just the right size for a lunch. Third, La Provence has mastered the preparation, preventing the creamy egg filling from being too loose, nor firm. And last, the perfect combination of sweet and savory is almost too delightful to bear. Sure even French women can stretch their ceintures eating one of these every day--especially if they chase it with a chocolate croissant--but, mon dieu!, what a fabulous way to fatten up.
Hungry for more? The dishes in our countdown thus far are linked below:
100. Warm Buffala Mozzarella with Clay Baked Roma Tomatoes and Eggplant at TIMO
99. Butter Sweet Potato Pecan Cheesecake at The Mahogany Grille
98. Jerk Penne Pasta at Ortanique on the Mile
97. Herb Basted Chicken Pot Pie from Gables Diner
96. Calzone Brooklynese from Pizza Volante
95. Deep-Fried Frogs' Legs at Coopertown Airboats in the Florida Everglades
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Miami dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.