Riptide used to get a sick kick out of driving over the Julia Tuttle Causeway and informing our visiting friends we were now directly above America's most infamous sex offender colony. Of course, that's no longer there, so instead we'll just take the MacArthur Causeway to the Beach and casually quip, "Oh yeah, there's that place that one dude got his face eaten off."
HistoryMiami is following suit and will add the spot to one of its sightseeing tours.
Miami Dade College professor Paul George leads the Mystery, Mayhem and Vice Crime Bus Tour through HistoryMiami's tour program, and the infamous spot along the MacArthur Causeway exit ramp is now a natural fit.
"We are definitely going to add [the location] as a stop," George told the South Florida Business Journal. "Horrible as it was, it is part of our history. Currently, our tour takes us over the causeway right past the site, so this fits well."
The tour also includes sightseeing related to notorious mobster Al Capone, the murderous Ashley Gang, Gianni Versace's murder, and Miami Vice. Sounds charming.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
You might have to wait awhile to take the tour, though. HistoryMiami doesn't have the crime tour scheduled this summer, according to its website.
More on Rudy Eugene, AKA the Miami Zombie:
- Miami Zombie Witness Called Police 17 Minutes Before Cops Shot And Killed Rudy Eugene
- Causeway Cannibal Rudy Eugene Has North Miami Beach In "State of Shock"
- Ronald Poppo, Face-Eating Victim, Had Been Shot in Bayfront Park Back in 1976
- Rudy Eugene Identified As Miami Zombie, Plus NSFW Photo of Attack's Aftermath
- Naked Man Shot by Miami Police After Eating Other Man's Face