Woman Threatens to Jump off Epic Hotel
In today's round up of crime, death and other travesties: a woman is threatening to jump off the Epic hotel, a teen girl is gunned down on the street of Miami, Lobster mini season claims its first victim, and a police chasing involving three different forces ends in a shooting in Hialeah.
Right now a woman is sitting on the edge of the 52nd story of the Epic Hotel on 270 Biscayne Boulevard Way and threatening to jump.
There's few details about why the woman is threatening to end her life, but police are trying to talk her down. The incident has caused traffic delays in downtown north of Brickell Avenue and near the Miami River.
After a few hours, officers were able to persuade the woman to change her mind.
"We were able to end the situation safely," said Carroll.
A teen girl was fatally shot in a bizarre drive by shooting. A man hopped out of a Burgundy SUV near NW Second Avenue and 64th Street and begun shooting at another man. The girl, who was merely walking home around 11 p.m. when the incident occurred, was on the other side of the street when she was hit by bullets.
The man, 19-year-old John Baker, is in critical condition. All in all the gunman unloaded about 50 bullets using a high powered machine gun before jumping back in the SUV and taking off. [NBCMiami]
- A police chase that started when three men tried to run over a police officer in Miami Gardens, ended in Hialeah with officers from the Miami Gardens, Hialeah and Opa Locka police forces involved. The men eventually crashed into a parked car, got out to confront the officers, and were shot. [WSVN]
- Lobster miniseason has claimed its first victim. A scuba diver died off the coast of Jupiter while trying to catch the bugs. They man may have had a heart attack while on a charter boat trip. [CBS4]
- Police have identified a suspect in the shooting of a man outside a day care over his chain. [JustNews]
- A former Miami-Dade police officer accused of killing a K9 has had felony charges dropped, but could still face misdemeanor chargers. [CBS4]
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.
- Court Rules Michael Pizzi Should Be Reinstated as Mayor of Miami Lakes
Tue., April 28, 6:35 p.m.
Thu., April 30, 6:35 p.m.
Fri., May 1, 6 p.m.
Fri., May 1, 6:35 p.m.
- 305 Is One of the Most In-Demand Area Codes in the Country
- DJ Laz Won't Face Criminal Charges Over Deadly Nixon Sandbar Boat Accident