Which Miami Beach Cops Earned Six Figures Last Year? Here's the Full List
This week, a New Times investigation revealed that 54 percent of the Miami Beach Police Department's 367 non-executive officers pulled in at least six figures last year, a figure that far exceeds other similarly sized departments in the county.
The numbers matter in Miami Beach because the city is facing a projected $30 million funding gap in next year's budget. Half that hole comes from declining property values -- and the rest comes from rising payouts into the pension fund that covers cops and firefighters.
Unless the city can plug the gap, every homeowner on the Beach could be looking at more than $450 in new taxes next year.
But who exactly are the cops who topped $100,000 last year?
Florida Atlantic University Owls Men's Basketball vs. Middle Tennessee State Univ Blue Raiders Mens Basketball
TicketsSat., Jan. 21, 7:00pm
Titan FC 43
TicketsSat., Jan. 21, 7:00pm
Miami Heat vs. Golden State Warriors
TicketsMon., Jan. 23, 7:30pm
Colgate Skating & Gymnastics Spectacular
TicketsWed., Jan. 25, 7:00pm
Many are hard workers who are compelled to take up to six weeks of overtime because of all the special events on the Beach, police leaders say. And some of that money comes from off-duty work paid for by private employers.
But even if you take only taxpayer-funded salary and overtime into account, half of all Beach cops still hit six figures.
After the jump, check out a quick list of the top ten earners between Dec. 22, 2008 and Dec. 20, 2009 -- and a PDF with the full list of Miami Beach PD's six figure cops.
Some of the names on the list are blacked out because cops who work undercover are exempted from Florida's public records law.
1) (Unnamed Sergeant) -- $213,912.42 ($84,000.02 in salary, $99,541.74 in overtime, $12,377.16 in premium pay, $17,993.50 in off duty)
2) Lt. Joseph Duque -- $178,460.64 ($91,228.84 in salary, $58,639.29 in overtime, $14,328.51 in premium pay, $14,264 in off duty)
3) Sgt. Hyok Chong -- $177,827.36 ($84,000.02 in salary, $49,119.19 in overtime, $11,535.15 in premium pay, $33,173 in off duty)
4) Lt. Octavio Rabelo -- $175,647.70 ($95,806.12 in salary, $42,293.12 in overtime, $19,953.46 in premium pay, $17,595 in off duty)
5) Sgt. Bernie Ruder -- $173,784.34 ($84,000.02 in salary, $42,297.93 in overtime, $20,055.89 in premium pay, $27,430.50 in off duty)
6) Lt. Eduardo Yero -- $173,385.29 ($97,230.12 in salary, $54,169.79 in overtime, $21,865.38 in premium pay, $120.00 in off duty)
7) Lt. Julio Yero, Jr. -- $172,197.26 ($96,518.12 in salary, $51,708.80 in overtime, $18,673.34 in premium pay, $5,297 in off duty)
8) Officer Robert Silvagni -- $163,399.22 ($72,568.86 in salary, $63,345.70 in overtime, $21,748.86 in premium pay, $5,736 in off duty)
9) Lt. Felix Ortega -- $161,408.83 ($96,518.12 in salary, $31,795.24 in overtime, $18,714.97 in premium pay, $14,380.50 in off duty)
10) Sgt. Mario Rojo -- $159,116.15 ($84,000.02 in salary, $36,786.12 in overtime, $19,454.01 in premium pay, $18,876.00 in off duty)
Want to see more? Here's the PDF with the full list of 200 MBPD officers topping $100,000.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.