"Whereas... LeBron James Decided to Take His Talent to South Beach": The Awesome Congressional Resolution Congratulating The Heat
It seems that Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen went all fan girl when drafting up a Congressional resolution to congratulate the Miami Heat on their NBA championship, because the thing is actually the rare Congressional measure that's a pleasure to read. It's basically a manifesto on why the Heat are just so damn awesome.
The measure includes such points as:
- Whereas on July 8, 2010, LeBron James decided to take his talent to South Beach and sign with the Miami Heat;
- Whereas on July 9, 2010, Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, and Chris Bosh were anointed the Three Kings at a ceremony in American Airlines Arena in Miami;
- Whereas the Miami Heat is the first team in the history of the NBA to win the Finals after trailing in 3 different playoff series, at one point trailing the Indiana Pacers 2 games to 1, the Boston Celtics 3 games to 2, and the Oklahoma City Thunder 1 game to 0;
- Whereas the ''White Hot'' Miami Heat fans sold out the American Airlines Arena and cheered on their hometown team;
- Whereas Dwayne Wade and Udonis Haslem have won their second NBA championship with the Miami Heat;
- Whereas head coach Erik Spoelstra tied Pat Riley for the Heat franchise record with his 34th postseason win;
- Whereas, in Game 5 of the NBA Finals--
(1) Dwayne Wade scored 20 points and acquired 8
rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, and 3 blocks;
(2) LeBron James had a triple-double with 26
points, 11 rebounds, and 13 assists to lead the Miami Heat to victory;
(3) Chris Bosh scored 24 points and acquired 7 re- bounds and 2 blocks; and
(4) Mike Miller made 7 of 8 3-point range shots and scored 23 points;
- Whereas the Miami Heat fans are a part of this championship by supporting the team and giving the team the en- ergy, strength, love, and passion to compete each and ever[y] season
The House measure was introduced by Ros-Lehtinen and Democratic Congressmen Alcee Hastings. Reps. Ted Deutch, Mario Diaz-Balart, David Rivera, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Allen West and Frederica Wilson also cosponsored the bill, in a rare move of South Florida congressional solidarity. Honestly, you don't find many things cosponsored by both Wasserman Schultz and West.
Florida Launch vs. Atlanta Blaze
TicketsSat., Jun. 17, 7:00pm
NPC Southern States Bikini, Figure, Men's Physique
TicketsFri., Jul. 7, 6:00pm
NPC Southern States Bodybuilding Championships vs. NPC Southern States Fitness & Figure Championships
TicketsSat., Jul. 8, 6:00pm
Florida Launch vs. Chesapeake Bayhawks
TicketsSat., Jul. 15, 7:00pm
President Obama also offered his first public shout out to the Heat last night while in town.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.