Water Park To Be Built at Sun Life Stadium
In today's new roundup, which surprisingly isn't full of that many terrible things: Sun Life Stadium may now have a new wet and wild neighbor, two pilots crash a plane in a canal but survive, the DUI teacher won't be returning to class, and Zoo Miami wants your votes for trash.
Despite being home to some Dolphins and Marlins there isn't anything aquatic about Sun Life Stadium, but according to Dolphins owner Jeffrey Ross' new plans the stadium wants to get you all wet. Ross is expected to announce today the building of a multi-million dollar water park on a 40-acre lot next to the stadium complete with slides, rides and a place to swim with actual fish.
Our excitement for Broward's proposed Schlitterbahn water park is on record, so we're practically already lathering on the sunscreen and inflating our floaty wings at this news. Basically, we are like 10-years-old and get super excited about anything related to water slides.
The park will be privately funded and is expected to be open around the spring of 2012. [NBCMiami]
- Zoo Miami is also hoping to one day open a water attraction, but in the meantime they need your votes to hope win a grant to buy a fancy trash compactor. [WSVN]
- Joann Tomas, the Homestead teacher who got popped for a bizarre DUI, will not be returning to teach your kids this Fall. [WSVN]
- A small flight school plan crashed into a canal in Palmetto Bay, however both pilots survived. [CBS4]
- Anybody want to spend their time waddling through a museum dedicated to the history of Pan Am airline? Anyone at all? There might be such a thing coming to Miami. [Herald]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- University of Miami Students Now Have $9,000 Napping Pods to Use on Campus
Sat., Feb. 13, 6:00pm
Sat., Feb. 13, 7:00pm
Mon., Feb. 15, 7:30pm
Thu., Feb. 18, 7:30pm
- Florida LGBT Rights Bill Dead; Still Legal to Fire Someone for Being Gay
- Skating in Cuba: Scraps of Wood, Salvaged Roller Skate Wheels, and Love of the Sport