The past 12 months have been dramatic for Miami and the nation. Donald Trump is leading the Republican presidential field by being a demagogue. Mike Huckabee and Ben Carson may be even crazier.
Police body and dashboard cameras are finally providing evidence against officers who kill unarmed black men in other cities, but not here. During her 22 years in office, Miami-Dade County State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle has never prosecuted a cop for recklessly killing people.
Miami is unique, and my writing has shown this.
1. Despite protests from some so-called feminists, my column ranking the top ten hottest female reporters was number one in 2015. It attracted more than 32,731 page views. Through social media and my regular Tuesday guest hosting duties on 940 WINZ's the Andy Slater Show, I built up anticipation, then spread my listicle across the web.
2. Second on the list was my analysis of the University of Miami trustees' involvement in the school's athletics. This column generated 18,096 page views. In fact, readers can't get enough of local sports. Eight of my top 10 columns involved the 'Canes, the Heat, the NBA, and youth football. I'm the Bryant Gumbel of South Florida sports journalists.
3. People also love the Republican presidential candidates who have lost their minds. More people were interested in reading my opinion on Donald Trump, Mike Huckabee, and Ben Carson than what I think about Drake, Trick Daddy, and Nevin Shapiro.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
4. Then there's Caitlyn Jenner, America's favorite transgender person who I had to call out for caring more about money than anyone's rights.
5. Finally, readers like it when I criticize African Americans. My column tackling the sleazy recruiters who poach players on youth football teams by paying their families' bills and other bribes was the third most read piece in 2015. And thousands also read my criticism of the Black Lives Matter movement for failing to address the "no snitching" culture in African-American neighborhoods plagued with gun violence.
Imagine what 2016 will bring. Happy New Year!
Follow Luke on Twitter: @unclelukereal1.