Traffic Apocalypse: Obama, Jeremy Lin and Emeril Will Destroy Your Commute Today
Miami loves its bold faced names almost as much as it hates its traffic, and today the sheer amount of star power in town may very well overwhelm our roadways. Not only is the leader of the free world making a visit to Coral Gables today, but Linsanity comes to downtown while the South Beach Food and Wine Festival kicks off in South Beach. Drivers beware.
Miami is not new to presidential visits, so hopefully we don't have to remind you that the POTUS's motorcade has a habit of snarling traffic. Here's President Obama's schedule today to give you an idea of what areas to avoid and when:
- 1:25 p.m. - Arrives at Miami International Airport
- 1:45 p.m. - Arrives on the University of Miami's Coral Gables campus
- 4:20 p.m. - Arrives at the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables for a fundraiser
- Unspecified Time - Arrives at a private home in the Pinecrest area for another fundraiser
- 7 p.m. Departs from M.I.A.
Just as President Obama is leaving, Linsanity officially makes its debut in downtown Miami as our Miami Heat take on the New York Knicks. Of course, Heat game traffic is fairly regular in Miami, but in addition to Linsanity there's another hitch: right next door to the arena the equine stars of the Cavalia show are expected to arrive this afternoon at Bicentennial Park. Expect road blocks along Biscayne.
Finally, the South Beach Wine & Food Festival kicks off tonight in Miami Beach. There's a small event at the Delano with Emeril Lagasse and Guy Fieri at 7 p.m. The traffic shouldn't be as bad as when the full event swings into action this weekend, but don't expect traffic around 17th and Collins Avenue to move as smooth as Paula Deen's butter.
Hopefully you don't work in Coral Gables, live in South Beach, and have dinner reservations downtown tonight. And if you do, well, learn some behind-the-wheel stress management techniques now.
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.
- Court Rules Michael Pizzi Should Be Reinstated as Mayor of Miami Lakes
- 305 Is One of the Most In-Demand Area Codes in the Country
- DJ Laz Won't Face Criminal Charges Over Deadly Nixon Sandbar Boat Accident