Top Local Stories of the Decade
It's just about 2010. Here are my choices. What do you think?
1. After being snatched by federal authorities, Elian Gonzalez is sent home to his father in Cuba on June 28, 2000.
2. Art Basel Miami Beach starts in 2002, an offshoot of the Swiss affair, it changes Miami's cultural life forever.
3. Not long after the battle in Seattle, Miami's streets explode with the Free Trade Area of the America riots in November 2003.
4. The Marlins go from 10 games under .500 to win their second world series over the Yankees, also in November 2003.
5. Miami Commissioner and former county commission chairman Arthur Teele, facing federal indictment, shoots himself in the lobby of the Miami Herald.
6. Hurricane Wilma whacks the area in 2005 after Katrina blew through, It was the worst huricane season in history and did nearly as much property damage and Andrew.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.