Toddler Found With Burns, Teenage Mom Suspected of Abuse
A two-year-old boy was found with second and third degree bodies on his neck and torso. Now police suspect child abuse.
Police received an anonymous call to check on his well-being early this morning, and went to the home of his 17-year-old mother. The mother and her boyfriend said that the child wasn't staying with them, and instead was in Opa-Locka. However the grandmother eventually let the police in and showed them the boy. They found him with burns on his body, and believe he sustained the injuries last Friday. Instead of taking him to the hospital they boy's 16-year-old aunt was trying home remedies.
The boy is now in the custody of the Department of Children and Family. Up until a few months ago he was in foster care. The mother, boyfriend, aunt and grandmother were all arrested and taking into police custody. [CBS4]
- The BSO officer who helped Dolphins player Phillip Merling escape media attention by going against procedure and escorting him out a back door of the jail has been reassigned. [NBCMiami]
- John Lee, 32-year-old father in Palmetto Bay, was ambushed in his apartment complex's parking lot by armed robbers. He tried to shoot back, but missed the assailants. He, however, was shot in the arm and abdomen and is recovering in the hospital. [CBS4]
- New video has been released of the man who pushed a little girl in the face in a Public elevator because she was crying. [WSVN]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Bill Advances That Would Ban Red Light Cameras in Florida
Wed., Feb. 10, 7:30pm
Thu., Feb. 11, 7:00pm
Fri., Feb. 12, 7:30pm
Sat., Feb. 13, 6:00pm
- Facebook Killer Derek Medina Gets Life in Prison, Vows to Sue Entire World
- Marco Rubio's Friend Didn't Know About Gay Porn House, Site's Owner Says