Ten Fun Facts About Ozzie Guillén, Marlins' Likely New Manager
Well, it appears the timing of Jack McKeon's retirement announcement wasn't so random. An official announcement that the
Florida Miami Marlins have hired Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillén as their new skipper seems imminent. The Sox have released Guillén from his contract, and he's reportedly ready to accept the Fish gig.
So, lets get to know our latest coach. Here's ten fun facts about the man who will now be charged with turning the Marlins around next season in their brand new home.
- The Venezuelan born Guillén was Major League Baseball's first Latin American coach, an achievement not without significance in Miami. He's also the first Latin American coach to win the World Series.
- His 2005 World Series win with the White Sox was that program's first since 1917. So hopefully he should have no problem getting the Marlins their first since, uh, 2003. Such a horrible, horrible drought that obviously needs to come to an end immediately.
- Under Guillén's management, the White Sox have never finished last in their division. At the moment, they're third in the AL Central with a .500 record, but that seems pretty good from our standpoint.
- He was the third base coach for the Marlins under McKeon in 2003. That was one of those bizarre World Series years, so it's a good sign that his history with the Marlins is a winning one.
- There was speculation last year that the Guillén would leave the Sox for the Marlins, so the team has had an eye on him for a while
- As a player he was the '85 Rookie of the Year, a Golden Glove Winner, and three-time All Star.
- He has three sons: Ozzie Jr., Oney and Ozney, which must make his home life some sort of weird riff on the "who's on first" joke.
- He has a bilingual Twitter.
- He once called a Chicago sports columnist a "fag," but apologized for offending homosexuals. He did not, however, apologize for offending the sports columnist.
- But don't worry libs! He also hates Arizona's Immigration laws.
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.
- Miami Beach Police Stop Horrific Rape Attempt on Septuagenarian Woman
Fri., May 1, 6:35 p.m.
Sat., May 2, 1 p.m.
Sat., May 2, 5:35 p.m.
Sun., May 3, 1:05 p.m.
- Court Rules Michael Pizzi Should Be Reinstated as Mayor of Miami Lakes
- 305 Is One of the Most In-Demand Area Codes in the Country