State Attorney Rundle: Just Say No to Gangs
“Justice starts here.” So says Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle in a series of anti-gang billboards that have popped up in seven county locations, mostly including
spots in and around Hialeah, Allapattah, and Little Haiti
Emblazoned in black across a yellow strip in the middle of the billboards is the slogan “Gangs are a dead end”; each advertisement -- featuring a different mug shot telling a story of one of four gang-related incarcerations -- represents one such purported dead end.
The best ad for gang absitenence, perhaps, is Jimmy Martinez: “He’s 33 years old and he’ll never be free again.” Less compelling, though perhaps meant more to alarm than motivate, is the case of Juan Celeya: “He’ll get out of prison just in time for his 34th birthday.”
Read on for a list of billboard locations.
• 27th Avenue & 16th Terrace SW - Miami
• US 1 & 218th Street SW - Cutler Ridge
• 27th Avenue & 21st Terrace NW - Miami
• 27th Avenue & 55th Terrace NW - Miami
• 2nd Avenue & 54th Street NW - Miami
• 17th Avenue & 23rd Street NW - Miami
• 7th Avenue & 70th Street NW - Miami
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.