Betty Pino, the popular radio DJ who could be heard on Univision's Amor 107.5 FM, died in August at Jackson Memorial Hopsital due to a bacterial infection. Now El Nuevo Herald reports that Pino contracted the infection after a botched procedure to implant silicone into her buttocks and died during a surgery to remove the substance.
Pino had the silicone injected four years ago. Such a procedure is illegal in America, and it's unclear who performed the surgery. Pino previously had "hard implants" meant to lift her buttocks but had those replaced by saline implants ten years ago. She then had those removed and opted for silicone.
The silicone, however, began to harden, and Pino started searching for a doctor to remove the implants. Dr. Constantino Mendieta performed the tricky surgery to remove the implants in June, and Pino was sent home. However, her surgery wounds became infected.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Pino was admitted back into the hospital about a month later, July 6, for sepsis due to infection. She slipped into a coma, and doctors had to amputate her hands and feet in an effort to save her, according to the autopsy report. The attempts were unsuccessful. The next morning, doctors disconnected the life support machines, and Pino passed away.