Police Officer Arrested After $131K Roadside Heist
Miami-Dade Police officer John Villar has been arrested by his own force after he was charged with stealing $131,000 in a roadway robbery. Villar and two accomplices, including his cousin, targeted a man who had just won the money by betting on the NBA playoffs.
Villar pulled the man over in an unmarked police car with flashing lights, while one accomplice wore a bulletproof vest marked with "police" and used a Taser. After the criminals made off with thousands of dollars and the man's cell phone, the victim flagged down a Florida Highway Patrol officer who then quickly tracked down Villar [Herald | WSVN]
- The Coral Gables Elementary School teacher who sent an email to a parent telling her to "eat sh-- and die" has been transferred to another job in the school system. [Herald]
- A Hialeah woman had her Rolex stolen when a couple told her they had won the lottery but couldn't cash the ticket because they were illegal immigrants. They wanted her to cash it, so she left her Rolex behind as insurance, but the couple made off with it. [CBS4]
- The Miami Seaquarium will release a rescued manatee named Laudy back into the wild. He showed up with frozen flippers and several lesions. [CBS4]
- Michael Mora, a Miami Beach man, has been charged with storing about 150 images of child pornography on his computer. [CBS4]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Bill Advances That Would Ban Red Light Cameras in Florida
Wed., Feb. 10, 7:30pm
Thu., Feb. 11, 7:00pm
Fri., Feb. 12, 7:30pm
Sat., Feb. 13, 6:00pm
- Facebook Killer Derek Medina Gets Life in Prison, Vows to Sue Entire World
- Marco Rubio's Friend Didn't Know About Gay Porn House, Site's Owner Says