Photo of the Day: Just Another Miami Beach Retiree
North Miami Beach's St. Bernard de Clairvaux Church is the oldest building in the Western Hemisphere. Of course, like every other thing in North Miami Beach, it didn't start off life there. It just retired there. It was built in Segovia, Spain in the 12th Century. It sat there until 1925, until William Randolph Hearst literally ran out of ideas of what to do with all his money, bought the building and shipped it to New York. Then, whoops, the '30s happened so the pieces of the church sat in storage until 1952. Raymond Moss and William Edgemon purchased the parts in 1952, and reassembled them in North Miami Beach.
Today the building is used as an Episcopal church, and is probably the most famous Episcopalian in Miami aside from Albert Cutié. [image and info via Wikipedia]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.