One Dead, Two Injured in Taxi Cab Drive-By Shooting
In today's roundup of bullets and other bad things: A taxi cab is shot up in a drive-by, leaving one man dead; another teen is a victim of gun violence in Liberty City; the Miami Hurricanes football team struggles with Twitter; and early voting begins.
Last night near NW Seventh Avenue and 71st Street, a taxi cab was showered with bullets, leaving two injured and one dead.
The taxi was stopped at a red light when another car pulled up and an occupant began shooting an automatic rifle. The cab's passenger, 44-year-old Kenneth Bethel, died in the back seat. He would have celebrated his 45th birthday tomorrow.
Fifty-eight-year-old Wilmer Holmes, the cab driver and father of seven, was injured and taken to the hospital, where he's listed in critical condition. Another man, Jaime Rosario, 25, was sitting in his pickup truck near the intersection and took a stray bullet to the leg.
No information about the suspect has been released yet. [CBS4]
- A molotov cocktail went off at the University of Miami medical center Friday. Police are searching for a woman caught on security footage who might have information. [JustNews]
- Finally, the story of a woman who threatened to jump from the Epic building in downtown Miami has come out. Police saved her by having a friend record a message on a cell phone. While she was hanging from the balcony, they persuaded her to listen to it. When she came close, they grabbed her and pulled her to safety. [CBS4]
- A 15-year-old boy is the latest teen to be shot in Liberty City due to suspected gang violence. He took bullets to the hip and arm. [NBCMiami]
- Coach Randy Shannon is lurking on Hurricanes football players' Facebook and Twitter pages. Apparently, during practices, he'll pass out printouts of embarrassing things that shouldn't have been posted publicly. [Herald]
- Oh, and early voting for the primaries begins today. [WSVN]
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.
- Court Rules Michael Pizzi Should Be Reinstated as Mayor of Miami Lakes
- 305 Is One of the Most In-Demand Area Codes in the Country
- DJ Laz Won't Face Criminal Charges Over Deadly Nixon Sandbar Boat Accident