No Evidence of Bath Salts Found in Rudy Eugene's Body, Only Marijuana
Turns out Rudy Eugene, the "Miami Zombie," was probably not under the influence of bath salts after all. It had been previously reported that Eugene had marijuana in his system, and after further tests, that's all the medical examiners found.
"The department's toxicology laboratory has identified the active components of marijuana," the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner said in a statement, according to NBC Miami. "The laboratory has tested for but not detected any other street drugs, alcohol, or prescription drugs, or any adulterants found in street drugs."
Despite rampant speculation on the part of the media spurred by police suggestion, this means there's no evidence Eugene had ingested bath salts before attacking and chewing off pieces of Ronald Poppo's face over the Memorial Day weekend.
The Miami-Dade Medical Examiner specifically brought in the help of an outside forensic toxicology reference laboratory to check the body for traces of bath salts, synthetic marijuana, and LSD. None was found.
Drugs such as cocaine, amphetamines (such as Ecstasy and meth), PCP (AKA angel dust), heroin, oxycodone, and Xanax were also not in Eugene's system at the time.
"Within the limits of current technology by both laboratories, marijuana is the only drug identified in the body of Mr. Rudy Eugene," the statement read.
- Rudy Eugene Smoked Pot Before Face-Eating Attack, Other Drugs Won't Be Known For Weeks
- New Photos of Ronald Poppo, Face-Eating Victim, Released Post-Surgery
- Rudy Eugene Identified As Miami Zombie, Plus NSFW Photo of Attack's Aftermath
- Rudy Eugene to Mother In 2004: "I'll Put a Gun to Your Head and Kill You"
- Rudy Eugene's Stepfather: Police Should Have Tased, Not Killed Him
- Miami-Dade Approves Bath Salts Ban
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
- NBA Features 786 on Heat's Area Code Gear, Not 305
- Three of America's Worst Traffic Bottlenecks Are in Miami
- North Beach Plots Future After Rejecting Luxury Condo Plan On Ocean Terrace