News Roundup: West Miami Mayor Suspended for Gabbing; Cuban Ump Defects
- West Miami Mayor Ceasar Carasa has been suspended for racking up a $70,000 cell phone bill on the City's dime. Carasa is not believed to be an actual teenage girl. [NBCMiami]
- The Miami Art Museum has named John Wetenhall as its interim director. Previously he's worked in museums in such cultural hotbeds as Sarasota, Fl and Nashville, Tn. [ArtDaily]
- North Miami Beach's paraplegic mayor Myron Rosner got harassed at Disney World because staff mistook his wheelchair for a Segway, because they are just dumb, dumb people allegedly. [Herald]
- Nelson Diaz, a Cuban umpire, is just the latest baseball figure to defect. Though, he may be the first Ump to do so. [ESPN]
- Tony Sparano declares that "the fans deserve better" after Sunday's disastrous loss to the Bills. [Herald]
- Four Miami Hurricanes were named to the all-ACC team including kicker Matt Bosher, offensive tackle Jason Fox, lineman Allen Baily, and cornerback Brandon Harris. [PBPost]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Facebook Killer Derek Medina Found Guilty
- St. Louis Rams Player Stedman Bailey Expected to Survive After Drive-By Shooting in...
- With Beckham's Little Havana Stadium Just About Dead, Overtown Could Be Next