News Roundup: Roddick and Clijsters Win; Hurricanes Fall in WNIT
- 23-year-old Octavius Pruitt was shot in the head and killed while standing on a street corner. How mother witnessed the murder, and police are searching for suspects. [CBS4]
- Workers at Jackson Memorial have agreed to a plan that would reduce the hospital system's deficit. [WSVN]
- Police have made two arrests in the University of Miami Starbucks robbery, including a woman who was an employee. One student, probably originally from out of town, says, "I'm scared to be on this campus now." [WSVN]
- Hey, Joe Biden is in town to talk Haiti reconstruction today. This is a big fucking deal. [CBS4]
- A Hialeah woman died following a domestic dispute that led to a man stabbing her. [CBS4]
- Andy Roddick won the Sony Ericsson Open. Maybe he'll be able to translate his recent resurgence into another Grand Slam title down the road. [Reuters]
- The American on the ladies' side wasn't so lucky. Kim Clijsters beat Venus Williams in a lopsided 6-2 6-1 match. [BBC]
- The Miami Hurricanes womens' basketball team made it all the way to the finals of the WNIT and ended up losing to Cal 73-61. [Herald]
- Meanwhile, the baseball team swept Wake Forest this weekend. [Herald]
- The Heat's charter plane had to make an emergency stop in Chicago because someone fell ill. [WGN]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Marco Rubio on Cecil the Lion: "But What About Abortion?"
- Dolphins Bring Back Old Logo and Throwback Uniforms for One Game
- Hillary Clinton to Speak at FIU on Friday (She's Just Not Sure If You're Invited or Not)