News Roundup: One Epic Hotel Guest Dead, 400 Relocated
- The Epic Hotel, in its quest to be fancy, has killed a man and hospitalized two others. It installed a powerful water filtration system that actually filtered out chlorine and caused the bacteria responsible for Legionnaires' disease to grow. Four hundred guests were evacuated while the hotel figures out how to fix the problem. [USAToday]
- Meanwhile, some of the relocated guests are afraid they might contract the disease, which is fatal in about 5 to 30 percent of cases. [CBS4]
- Buju Banton, a talented reggae artist and raging homophobe, has been arrested on drug conspiracy charges and is facing court in Miami. [UPI]
- Police shot and killed a man in Miami Beach last night because he had a "metal weapon" that he refused to drop. The weapon isn't identified, but whatever it was, apparently it deserved five bullets. [NBCMiami]
- Today is the busiest day of the year for the postal service. [CBS4]
- The Heat lost to the Memphis Grizzlies, 118-90. [NBCMiami]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- ESPN's Israel Gutierrez Comes Out As Gay, Announces Marriage
Sun., Sep. 6, 6:35pm
Fri., Sep. 11, 3:00pm
Fri., Sep. 11, 8:00pm
Fri., Sep. 18, 7:00pm
- Design District Mastermind Marries Aventura Mall Chief
- Jonah Wolfson Kills Controversial PAC Weeks After Attacking Journalists In...