- Miami Beach sea turtles are under constant threat because their nests share the beach with us humans. The worse kind of humans -- drunk ones. "Mr. Buchanan voluntarily protects the nests from what he says is the constant threat of drunken nighttime visitors who pour out of nearby nightclubs to go for a midnight swim or make-out session in the sand." [NYTimes]
- Now it's the City of Miami's turn to deal with its budget. Their first public hearing on the matter begins tonight at 5:05. [Herald]
- The apartment vacancy rate in Miami-Dade has hit 5.8 percent for the first time in five years. Meanwhile, the average monthly rent is expected to fall to $1,069. Sounds like it's time to renegotiate my lease. [SFBJ]
- Meanwhile, new foreclosure filings are up 18 percent in the county between July and August. [Herald]
- Miami Beach Mayor Matti Bower is apparently on Team Clucky and will ask the city commission to grant Mr. Clucky the rooster a special exemption that would allow his glorious return to South Beach. [NBCMiami]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Facebook Killer Derek Medina Found Guilty
- St. Louis Rams Player Stedman Bailey Expected to Survive After Drive-By Shooting in...
- With Beckham's Little Havana Stadium Just About Dead, Overtown Could Be Next