What's in the papers and on the news today -- and why you care:
- A former Miami-Dade Police officer was sentenced to eight years in prison after fleeing the scene of a fatal accident. Aren't cops supposed to know how the law works? [Local 10]
- Names are already being mentioned as to who will replace Rudy Crew. [Herald]. The most interesting are former schools chief Octavio Visiedo and Mercedes Toural, a Crew critic who seemed to be on the fast track before the big fella took the post.
- The NFL isn't exactly thrilled with Chad Ocho Cinco's new name. They say there's some issues to work out before they officially recognize him by the new moniker. [WIOD]
- Hurricane Ike claims four lives in Cuba. [CBS 4]
, Couldn't they have given the damn storm a name that doesn't sound like a convict?
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Frost Family Bails Out Cash-Strapped Science Museum, Cans Entire Board of Directors
Sat., Feb. 13, 6:00pm
Sat., Feb. 13, 7:00pm
Mon., Feb. 15, 7:30pm
Thu., Feb. 18, 7:30pm
- University of Miami Students Now Have $9,000 Napping Pods to Use on Campus
- Florida LGBT Rights Bill Dead; Still Legal to Fire Someone for Being Gay