- A Miami Lakes special needs teacher was found guilty of abuse for spiking an autistic student's soda with hot sauce to teach him a lesson. [AP]
- Mel Martinez made good on his promise to return to private law practice and will be a partner at a Tampa law firm. [Tribune]
- Miami Beach mayoral candidate Joshua LaRose has been disqualified from the race after bouncing a check written to the city. [Herald]
- Fifty-three percent of adults in Hialeah lack health insurance. [Herald]
- The county has begun removing Australian pine trees along the Rickenbacker Causeway, which is proving controversial among those who like the invasive tree. [Herald]
- It looks like Oklahoma's Heisman-winning QB Sam Bradford won't be back in time for the Miami game, but redshirt freshman Landry Jones seems to be doing just fine. [ESPN]
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.