MLB to Suspend 13 Players Linked to Biogenesis, A-Rod To Appeal
Bud Selig's hammer is finally going to come down today on the MLB investigation into players obtaining performance enhancing drugs from Biogenesis, a now-shuttered Coral Gables "anti-aging clinic." Miami New Times was the first to report that the clinic was supplying PEDs to major MLB stars in an investigation published in January.
A total of 13 players are reported to be suspended for 50 games and have accepted their fate. However, Alex Rodriguez reportedly plans to appeal his suspension.
Here, via CBS Sports, are the 11 players who will be out for 50 games:
- Astros: LHP Sergio Escalona (minors)
- Mariners: C Jesus Montero (minors)
- Mets: UTIL Jordany Valdespin and OF Cesar Puello (both minors)
- Padres: SS Everth Cabrera and RHP Fautino De Los Santos (minors)
- Phillies: LHP Antonio Bastardo
- Rangers: OF Nelson Cruz
- Tigers: SS Jhonny Peralta
- Yankees: C Francisco Cervelli and OF Fernando Martinez (minors)
- No Team: LHP Jordan Norberto (free agent)
A-Rod however reportedly will be hit with a 211-game suspension that would keep him out for the rest of the season and all of next. He plans to appeal the suspension. Rodriguez's feels his suspension should be in line with the 50 games the other players received, and less than the 65 game suspension Ryan Braun accepted earlier this summer. In fact, Rodriguez may even return from injury to play for the Yankees while the appeal is being processed.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Miami New Times' biggest stories.
- Dolphins Fire Kevin Coyle, Promote Lou Anarumo
Thu., Oct. 15, 7:00pm
Thu., Oct. 15, 7:30pm
Sat., Oct. 17, 12:00am
Sat., Oct. 17, 10:00am
- The Six Phases of a Gentrifying Neighborhood in Miami
- Chiquitica, Dog Who Sailed From Cuba Last Month, Hit by Car