Miami Ranked the Third Least Funny City in America
Well, it has been a while since Jackie Gleason was broadcasting here.
Do you think this is some sort of joke? Miami is apparently in the midst of a comedy crisis, according to a new study that attempts to rank each of America's 50 largest metro areas by how funny they are. Miami came in 48th out of 50.
Dr. Peter McGraw, founder of the Humor Research Lab at the University of Colorado Boulder and the recent book The Humor Code, looked at several factors to determine a city's relative humor score:
- Frequency of visits to Cheezburger comedy websites, such as Lolcats and FAIL Blog.
- Number of comedy clubs per square mile in each city.
- Traveling comedians' ratings of each city's comedy-club audiences.
- Number of famous comedians born in each city, divided by city population.
- Number of famous funny tweeters living in each city, divided by city population.
- Number of comedy radio stations available in each city.
- Frequency of humor-related web searches originating in each city.
The study didn't release much info about the cities outside the top ten on the list, but Miami didn't even make the top five of any of the various factors taken into account.
Of course, with the recent closing of the city's biggest comedy club, the Improv in Coconut Grove, it really shouldn't be much of a surprise that Miami didn't fare well on the list. The city's two most famous born-and-raised comedians are Victoria Jackson and Rita Rudner, so that probably didn't help much either.
Apparently being the home of Sábado Gigante, a source of cutting-edge humor if there ever was one, doesn't account for much.
The only cities deemed less funny than Miami are Jacksonville and Fort Worth.
The top five funniest places are Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, D.C., and Portland.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Miami, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.